Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography and education

I'm trying to find evidence of anyone who has used digital photography as a hook to bring disaffected youngsters back into education and learning. Digital photography acts as the vehicle which helps to re ignite the desire to learn, ; not the subject matter itself.

I've come across this in young people engaging in digital storytelling and "this is me" type projects. Has anyone come across other such examples of digital photography being used in this way to encourage kids back into education??

Not personally, but, it sounds like a damned good idea given the state of society today.

Regards.

Phil.

One of my local NPR radio stations has a program that includes digital imagery.
http://spot127.org/

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Wall-E,

I've never quite managed to 'wrap my head around' the concept of 'photography on the radio'. It seems to be a self defeating concept. Music and discussion programmes on radio, theatrical plays on radio, yes I can get with that , but photography? Photographic programmes on TV, I can get my head around that as TV is partly a visual medium, but, on radio? It seems too far fetched to me. However, if it brings youngsters back into either full or part time education then it has to be a good thing.

Regards.

Phil.

(Jan 7, 2014, 11:48)Phil J Wrote:  Wall-E,

I've never quite managed to 'wrap my head around' the concept of 'photography on the radio'. It seems to be a self defeating concept. Music and discussion programmes on radio, theatrical plays on radio, yes I can get with that , but photography? Photographic programmes on TV, I can get my head around that as TV is partly a visual medium, but, on radio? It seems too far fetched to me. However, if it brings youngsters back into either full or part time education then it has to be a good thing.

Regards.

Phil.

Phil;

Well.......It's not 'photography on the radio'.
It's a learning program hosted by the station at a location.
All forms of 'digital media'.
Geared to teen's.
And the station's website has plenty of digital imagery.

NPR has images taken during interviews or while working on a story, that are posted on their website. Sometimes even videos. So, you can't see them while listening in your car, but of you can find them later, if you're interested.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

(Jan 7, 2014, 12:55)Wall-E Wrote:  
(Jan 7, 2014, 11:48)Phil J Wrote:  Wall-E,

Regards.

Phil.

Phil;

Well.......It's not 'photography on the radio'.
It's a learning program hosted by the station at a location.
All forms of 'digital media'.
Geared to teen's.
And the station's website has plenty of digital imagery.

NPR has images taken during interviews or while working on a story, that are posted on their website. Sometimes even videos. So, you can't see them while listening in your car, but of you can find them later, if you're interested.

Ah Wal-E,

The veil of fog begins to lift. Smile

Thanks for the explanation. As I said, anything that gets youngsters back into part time or full time education has to be a good thing.

Regards.

Phil.

I've been using DP with kids who are excluded from mainstream education for one reason or another. I've found it to be a great tool for helping kids to open up and show what their made of. Often the results are quite surprising and they help you to understand the young person more.

But, the photography is just the beginning. Once they have mastered the basics of camera handling, I've introduced simple projects such as poster design, digital story telling and image manipulation to help re ignite the learning flame.

Sometimes it works, some times I'm told "where to go"!! but generally it does get results. If you hear of anyone else who's made this work, I'd be grateful for they're contact details

regards

F

Hi Ferenc, I work with kids that have been excluded from mainstream education, who have EBD issues. I introduced digital photography shortly after joining the school 18 months ago. It has largely been a success, with one student using animation as a starting point ( simple stop motion ), then leaving after his GCSE, to attend college for animation. At the moment I am guiding three students through GCSE photography. I found that giving them the responsibility of using and looking after DSLRS with expensive lenses (All my own kit) then seeing the instant gratification of being able to use and produce something, led to them wanting to know more. They are more attentive, if I show them a photograph of a technique, HDR, using a slow shutter speed to "smooth" water, water drops etc, and are keen to replicate these. We have even produced greetings cards with their photos on the front, and sold them at the school fete, which the students take full control of.

Hello and welcome feek! Nice to meet you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thank you Barbara.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post