Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cheap macro option

Hi

When I got my first dslr in April 2011 I thought that I 'had' to have a macro lens to go with the two kit lenses. However, being a tight Scot, I wasn't keen to part with £370 for the Tamron 90mm f2.8 which was rated very highly by most reviewers at the time. I decided to 'splash out' on the Neewer 0.45X Wide Angle Lens with Macro for £19.99. I was impressed with the Macro part of the lens but not the wide angle part.
Here are the first shots with my Pentax k-r and kit 18-55mm lens with the Neewer macro lens attached.

The lens remained in its bag for over a year until a few weeks ago, when I acquired some model photographers. These shots are with my Pentax K-30 and kit 18-55mm WR lens with the Neewer macro lens attached.

I think the results are acceptable, especially for the price.
Anyone care to comment, agree or disagree?

Coachline.

Coachline,

I think the results you have achieved are remarkable, especially considering the cost of your 'investment'. Well done.

Just for the record I have several Scottish friends and none of them could be described as being 'tight'. Financially astute, yes, careful with matters fiscal, yes, determined to get the best deal, yes, just plain obstinate, yes: but 'tight'? NEVER. Smile I invariably seek their advice before making a major investment, especially when the subject is Single Malt Whisky!!

Regards.

Phil.

(Jan 19, 2014, 11:23)Phil J Wrote:  Coachline,

I think the results you have achieved are remarkable, especially considering the cost of your 'investment'. Well done.

Just for the record I have several Scottish friends and none of them could be described as being 'tight'. Financially astute, yes, careful with matters fiscal, yes, determined to get the best deal, yes, just plain obstinate, yes: but 'tight'? NEVER. Smile I invariably seek their advice before making a major investment, especially when the subject is Single Malt Whisky!!

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks Phil

Aye, I'm all of those things too, from the Kingdom of Fife. Rolleyes

I really started the thread to encourage other beginners to follow the very good advice a pro photographer gave me in 2011. It was to use my kit lenses for a while to find out which focal lengths I would use most before buying expensive lenses. I find that my 18-55mm lens has been the most useful to me. Macro photography is fun but it's not something you do every week.

Regards

Coachline

I agree. The last one is my favorite - a great shot! Smile

Philip

(Jan 19, 2014, 14:30)MrB Wrote:  

I agree. The last one is my favorite - a great shot! Smile

Philip

Cheers Philip.

None of them have any pp and I have no idea how I ended up with some really nice shots. Last one - f22, 13 sec, ISO 400, -1.7 step @ 18mm on tripod. A lot of experimentation, and a lot of fun.

Regards

Coachline.

P.S. Also having fun with the FastStone Image Viewer program you recommended. Many Thanks.

The photos are okay - especially for the price, as others have said - but it's the composition that really draws you in. Congrats!

(Jan 24, 2014, 01:04)kNox Wrote:  The photos are okay - especially for the price, as others have said - but it's the composition that really draws you in. Congrats!

Thank you kNox,

There's a whole heap of scenarios where the models could be used but I haven't done much with them since that first evening.

One idea, wrong location (car bonnet)

Regards

Coachline.

(Jan 24, 2014, 10:59)coachline56 Wrote:  
(Jan 24, 2014, 01:04)kNox Wrote:  The photos are okay - especially for the price, as others have said - but it's the composition that really draws you in. Congrats!

Thank you kNox,

There's a whole heap of scenarios where the models could be used but I haven't done much with them since that first evening.

Regards

Coachline.

I like the little people. Where did you get them from, Coachline??

regards

F

regards

F
[/quote]

Hi Ferenc

The little people are Preiser Figures. They are 1:87 scale and usually used with model railways. I got them from Amazon but any good model/toy shop should have them.

Regards

Coachline

(Jan 27, 2014, 16:04)Ferenc Wrote:  
(Jan 24, 2014, 10:59)coachline56 Wrote:  

Thank you kNox,

Regards

Coachline.

regards

F

If you have some money to spare you can even get one of yourself: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...first.html . Smile

If you have some money to spare you can even get one of yourself: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...first.html . Smile
[/quote]

kNox, I can see that being very popular...

Coachline

(Jan 19, 2014, 08:45)coachline56 Wrote:  Think the results you have are excellent. Have just bought the same lens for my Nikon D3200 but haven't used it yet. This has inspired me to try it ASAP. Joby135

When I got my first dslr in April 2011 I thought that I 'had' to have a macro lens to go with the two kit lenses. However, being a tight Scot, I wasn't keen to part with £370 for the Tamron 90mm f2.8 which was rated very highly by most reviewers at the time. I decided to 'splash out' on the Neewer 0.45X Wide Angle Lens with Macro for £19.99. I was impressed with the Macro part of the lens but not the wide angle part.
Here are the first shots with my Pentax k-r and kit 18-55mm lens with the Neewer macro lens attached.

The lens remained in its bag for over a year until a few weeks ago, when I acquired some model photographers. These shots are with my Pentax K-30 and kit 18-55mm WR lens with the Neewer macro lens attached.

I think the results are acceptable, especially for the price.
Anyone care to comment, agree or disagree?

Coachline.

@Coachline: yes, and they have become cheaper in recent years. I think that in a couple of years they can replace fridge magnets as the preferred vacation souvenir.

[quote='Joby135' pid='93243' dateline='1391728793']
[quote='coachline56' pid='92791' dateline='1390142705']

Think the results you have are excellent. Have just bought the same lens for my Nikon D3200 but haven't used it yet. This has inspired me to try it ASAP. Joby135

Hi Joby135

Hopefully you will be as pleasantly surprised with your lens as I was. It would be interesting to see how your Nikon D3200 compares as I considered the D3100 before opting for the Pentax k-r.

Regards

Coachline.

I really like your images, I've just ordered some for myself, I like your compositions, it brings another aspect to macro photography.
Another cheap option which can yield very good results is to use a reversing ring which allows you to use any lens with the correct filter size mounted to your camera, although you do lose any auto function of the lens.

(Feb 17, 2014, 11:52)Carl Jones Wrote:  I really like your images, I've just ordered some for myself, I like your compositions, it brings another aspect to macro photography.
Another cheap option which can yield very good results is to use a reversing ring which allows you to use any lens with the correct filter size mounted to your camera, although you do lose any auto function of the lens.

Appreciate your comments, Carl

I got a bit lucky with the macro shots. I knew how I wanted them to look but didn't have any idea of what settings to use. That maybe made it more enjoyable when I got a few I was pleased with. I'm not one for writing down or remembering settings just looking for an end result.

I vaguely remember reversing a lens to try macro a few years ago. It might have been an M42 lens from my Yashica film camera but I'm not sure if I had a reversing ring in my kit.

As with Joby135, I hope you get some good results and can let us all see them on this site.

Regards

Coachline.

I love them all, especially the last one. Just goes to show, you don't need expensive kit to make great photographs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GrahamS
Mar 1, 2018, 03:37