Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Infrared Photography

Hi everybody,
Although I've been taking "pictures" for 50 years, I'm new to photography. Having recently swopped working for a living to become a gentleman of leisure (chores. wife and grand kids permitting), I now have time to do what I want. I've been logging in as a guest on shuttertalk for a few months now hoping to find a thread that will give me more information on a specific type of photography I would like to follow. To date I haven't seen anything relating to infrared photography (maybe it's been done to death before??) . Are there any photographers out there with any advice on this topic. Huh

Welcome to Shuttertalk Sandpiper60.
My knowledge of infrared is very meagre other than, I think, there being three possible methods of producing the effect.
1. Converting a digital camera to infrared. Note: once converted there is no going back.
2. Use an infrared filter.
3. Convert an image that you have already shot to mimic infrared with something like Photoshop.
That's my lot. One point-- It is very useful if you could let forum members know what kit you use and to sign off with a name. You will find folks happy to help.
Enjoy yourself ! Mike.

(Jan 25, 2014, 14:38)Sandpiper60 Wrote:  Hi everybody,
Although I've been taking "pictures" for 50 years, I'm new to photography. Having recently swopped working for a living to become a gentleman of leisure (chores. wife and grand kids permitting), I now have time to do what I want. I've been logging in as a guest on shuttertalk for a few months now hoping to find a thread that will give me more information on a specific type of photography I would like to follow. To date I haven't seen anything relating to infrared photography (maybe it's been done to death before??) . Are there any photographers out there with any advice on this topic. Huh

Interesting 'handle'.
Don't suppose you ever owned a Sandpiper 565 mini cruiser sailboat?

Welcome to the forums! Glad you joined us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Jan 25, 2014, 21:37)TrueNorth Wrote:  

Interesting 'handle'.
Don't suppose you ever owned a Sandpiper 565 mini cruiser sailboat?

No, never owned a boat of any description, but I used to sell Warren Rupp sandpiper air diaphragm pumps many moons ago. I guess it's as good a handle as any. Regards Alan

(Jan 25, 2014, 16:32)Browser Mike Wrote:  Welcome to Shuttertalk Sandpiper60.
My knowledge of infrared is very meagre other than, I think, there being three possible methods of producing the effect.
1. Converting a digital camera to infrared. Note: once converted there is no going back.
2. Use an infrared filter.
3. Convert an image that you have already shot to mimic infrared with something like Photoshop.
That's my lot. One point-- It is very useful if you could let forum members know what kit you use and to sign off with a name. You will find folks happy to help.
Enjoy yourself ! Mike.

Sorry about that Mike, being a complete novice to posting threads I'm not completely aware of the etiquette involved.
For any one interested in my kit, my main camera is a Canon 600D with a 10-22 wide angle, an 18-250 telephoto and a 50 prime lens. I have splashed out a little on an old Minolta Dimage 7 digital camera which has a 28-200 7x optical zoom lens to take infrared photos with. I should perhaps point out that this camera has not been converted to IR and according to the bit of info I've found on the internet it can be used with a filter and hand held rather than tripod mounted.
Regards Alan

Thanks for that Alan. No apology required. Look forward to seeing some of your IR shots. It will be something new for me. Cheers. Mike.

Sandpiper Alan. Smile

Hi there and welcome to the forums. There are loads of contributors here who have vast knowledge that they are happy to share. I do hope you enjoy being here and benefit from our mutual sharing of that knowledge.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi Sandpiper60, welcome to the forum. I am a bit like you, in that a decade or so past, I retired from work and took up photography as a hobby, rather, I probably got more serious about it as I have been taking pictures since I was very young when someone bought me a little black box with as piece of glass on the front of it. I have been interested in IR photography for many years and used to shoot IR film (you remember film Big Grin ) and now I have gone the route of having a camera converted to shoot IR. Maybe it would be appropriate to start a thread on IR photography (Mods any comments on this?). Maybe I will put up some of my IR pictures on my Flickr page. There is a Flickr "group" devoted to IR photography - https://www.flickr.com/groups/infraredphotography/

If you are serious about it, then I would recommend a book by Deborah Sandidge - Digital Infrared Photography published by Wiley - it may be out of print, but you may be able to borrow one at your library. You might also have a look at a couple of websites that specialize in conversions as they also contain a lot of introductory material on IR photography in general - http://www.lifepixel.com/ and http://www.spencerscamera.com/. Also, if you Google "infrared photography", you will find a lot of information.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions...or maybe start a thread by posting questions in a thread.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Nov 5, 2014, 08:08