Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Colormunki Monitor Calibrator

Anybody have this, gets a good writeup here. Great price? Ed.
http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/0...and-rated/

To each his own!

Thank you for sharing!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I can calibrate my monitor with color munki but cannot get good print profiles following instructions resolutely

(Mar 1, 2014, 10:15)Conti Wrote:  I can calibrate my monitor with color munki but cannot get good print profiles following instructions resolutely

ColourMunki was good at printer profiles for printers like the Epson 1400 or 2800/2880, basically because these printers reproduced a smaller amount of colour, and the profiles produced by the CM software usually worked out fine from the getgo.

But move up to either a medium format printer, or something like an Epson 3000 and the standard CM profile process comes up a little short of the mark.

You can still produce profiles with the device but they take longer to make as you need to keep using images to create custom mods to the existing profile you made.

This can prove very costly in terms of both time and money.

The problem lies in that the CM only produces 50 colour patches by which it can measure printer output.

An i1Pro 2 for example will produce thousands on the same size sheet of paper - I use a standard 1600 patch chart. This gives the measuring device and profiler software a far more accurate 'handle' on how the printer repros colour.

I teach quite a lot of print at workshops up and down the country, and, as I tell everyone who has a CM, when it comes to medium format and more modern DT printers; like the 3000, using OEM ink and paper, the supplied profiles work great.

The same can be said for third party papers like Permajet - their OEM ink profiles work superbly.

The real big issue is soft-proofing. Unless you take care when soft-proofing, even the best and most accurate custom print profile will yield poor results.

But the CM produces very good monitor profiles, and you need a highly accurate monitor profile before you can do effective soft-proofing.

I've got a few ColourMunki & print-related articles on my blog HERE

Best Regards

Andy

Welcome to the forums Andy! Nice to have you on site with us!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!
Smile 

(Mar 3, 2014, 07:51)Barbara G. Wrote:  Welcome to the forums Andy! Nice to have you on site with us!

Thanks Barbara - I'll try to live up to any expectations! Big GrinBig Grin

(Mar 1, 2014, 02:57)EdMak Wrote:  Anybody have this, gets a good writeup here. Great price? Ed.

I purchased Colur Munki a few months ago. When you buy your monitor it is set up to look good in the showroom and is not necessarily calibrated to produce accurate colour prints. When i used ColourMunki the first time I was amazed the difference it made to the monitor display. The windows back ground photographs had detail in the shadows and highlights that I had never seen before, and the colours in colour prints from my Epson where much closer to that shown on the monitor. ! Colour Munki even adjusts the monitor automatically for ambient light. You can also calibrate projectors, though I have never tried this.
Well worth the cost if you are serious about producing colour accurate prints.

(Mar 1, 2014, 02:57)EdMak Wrote:  Anybody have this, gets a good writeup here. Great price? Ed.

so is this what I need to get my color profile for sending my pics to whit house to be printed ? new to this lol so having tjroubles getting a color profile to go with pics when I send them to white house, they say there is no profile and yet I have LR and Ps would they not give the pics a color profile?HuhHeart

(Mar 19, 2014, 09:10)peach68 Wrote:  

so is this what I need to get my color profile for sending my pics to whit house to be printed ? new to this lol so having tjroubles getting a color profile to go with pics when I send them to white house, they say there is no profile and yet I have LR and Ps would they not give the pics a color profile?HuhHeart

Sounds as if your export colour space profile isn't getting embedded in the file. If you open Lightrooms export dialogue box and scroll down to file settings what does it say?

(Mar 19, 2014, 09:41)Wildlife in Pixels Wrote:  
(Mar 19, 2014, 09:10)peach68 Wrote:  

Sounds as if your export colour space profile isn't getting embedded in the file. If you open Lightrooms export dialogue box and scroll down to file settings what does it say?

"Color space" and "ICC Profile" are two different things, but both relate to color rendition.

The 'default' color space is sRGB. It has the smallest number of possible colors.
Next, we move to aRGB (Adobe RGB). This has a larger number of possible colors, but isn't available in some software.
Then there's 'ProPhoto' which has the highest number of possible colors, but is not available from most cameras.
The 'trick' is to pick one color space, and stay with it from image capture until the last thing in your workflow.
Most labs want sRGB, but you can request aRGB.

Then we get into the color performance of a printer (ICC profile).
You apply the ICC profile for whatever specific printer (your's or the lab's) while 'soft proofing' your images.

Doing both of these things gets the print the closest to what you see on your calibrated monitor.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

ccol went into lr and ps and fixed it up phew heheheh lol ty so muchHeart

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post