Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Using a variable ND filter as 'sunglasses'

I just recently bought a Tiffen 67mm variable ND filter of which I am now trying to learn to use. I received this reply on one of my posts and my response, and thought that maybe here would be the place to ask for other peoples opinions on the subject. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated as always.

Colly Wrote: The first photo shows some subject movement; then again that is the main purpose of these filters,- to allow longer exposure times, not really for the shots you have taken, good as some of them are! they are usually used for blurring moving water and clouds drifting across the sky.

Thanks for the comments Colly they are appreciated. In playing with the new filter I was aware of the 'mainstream' usages of the ND filter. But as happy as I am with my Canon SX50HS, it does have some limitations due to its makeup. One of the issues is that the highest aperture value is a nominal f8 which on very bright sunny days ,( add some water and snow), still allows too much light in for some specific shots. Hence the experiment of the day was using the filter as 'a pair of sunglasses', and seeing what quality of photo came out after dropping the available light to the camera. On the whole it worked very well, but some minor tweaking still needs to be worked out.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 9, 2016, 13:07
Last Post by johnytrout
Feb 15, 2014, 05:53