Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

camera bags

Hi everyone. Could I please have some advice on a good quality camera bag that would fit all my stuff in. I have a canon 600D with 5 lenses, speedlite, 3 hoods, cleaning gear, filters and tripod. There are so many on the market, I thought it would be best to get some of your opinions as I have already bought 3 bags. Although they are ok for certain occasions, I need something that will hold all my equipment as I am interested in landscape, wildlife and astrophotography and want something that would carry all of it, instead of 3 bags. Does such a bag exist? Your opinions would be very welcome, thanks.

regards Jane

(Mar 24, 2014, 06:29)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. Could I please have some advice on a good quality camera bag that would fit all my stuff in. I have a canon 600D with 5 lenses, speedlite, 3 hoods, cleaning gear, filters and tripod. There are so many on the market, I thought it would be best to get some of your opinions as I have already bought 3 bags. Although they are ok for certain occasions, I need something that will hold all my equipment as I am interested in landscape, wildlife and astrophotography and want something that would carry all of it, instead of 3 bags. Does such a bag exist? Your opinions would be very welcome, thanks.

regards Jane
Do you have a budget for this purchase? Do you want a backpack or a rolling piece of luggage?

I have a Think Tank Airport Takeoff. It holds two cameras, five lenses, a set of extension tubes, some filters, LensPen, and I can tie a tripod on it should the need arise. It gets a bit heavy for air travel, but it works fine if I am travelling by car, so you could look at the Think Tank bags. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories...eries.aspx

The other ones that will hold a lot of gear are the Gura Gear Bataflae 26L and 32L bags. They are backpacks and are not cheap. http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Hi Jane,
I would give Amazon a try. They have a large range of bags, backpacks, cases etc. I am sure that you would find something to fit your requirement.
Regards, Mike.

(Mar 24, 2014, 06:29)snaphappy Wrote:  Hi everyone. Could I please have some advice on a good quality camera bag that would fit all my stuff in. I have a canon 600D with 5 lenses, speedlite, 3 hoods, cleaning gear, filters and tripod. There are so many on the market, I thought it would be best to get some of your opinions as I have already bought 3 bags. Although they are ok for certain occasions, I need something that will hold all my equipment as I am interested in landscape, wildlife and astrophotography and want something that would carry all of it, instead of 3 bags. Does such a bag exist? Your opinions would be very welcome, thanks.

regards Jane

My current bag is a Tamrac Expedition 6x.
http://www.tamrac.com/products/expedition6x/
2 full size dx bodies, 4 lenses, speedlite w/battery pack, remote shutter release.
And THEN there's the memory card/battery pockets, and the laptop sleeve (where I put my speedlite modifiers, cards, notebook, etc......)
And a place to attach a tripod (which I find useless).

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Jane, the choice of a camera bag is a very personal thing. I have never come across any two people who prefer the same bag and there are many to choose from. The type that best suits your individual needs will depend on your budget, your kit and the type of photography that you do. One thing that I do know from many years of experience, however, is that the quality of the bag or case is very important. The last thing you want to happen is for a handle, strap or closure to break when you are ten miles from base up a mountain. There are a number of quality manufacturers such as Loewe, Kata, Tamrac, Billingham to name but a few. There are also many cheap look-alike bags, and even some counterfeit bags, usually made in China, that are a trap for the un-wary.

I have a Loewe-Pro backpack that still looks new, with not even a stitch broken, after being worked hard on expeditions through the Australian outback, across Europe, Africa and the UK. It has paid for itself many times over and it has probably saved my insurance company a lot of money. Buy the best that you can afford and you won't be sorry.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Jane, I just came across these folks who make a variety of different kinds of bags and cases to suit just about most people's needs.

http://www.portabrace.com/products

A lot of their products are "multifunctional". For example, look at their Camera cases and their Production cases, and maybe some of the other categories. A lot will depend on how you are going to use the "case/bag".

I will also say that I agree very much with the sentiment expressed by GrahamS. Camera bags are like most other accessories, you get what you pay for and it does not pay to cut corners where camera bags are concerned.

WesternGuy

(Mar 24, 2014, 12:06)WesternGuy Wrote:  

regards Jane
Do you have a budget for this purchase? Do you want a backpack or a rolling piece of luggage?

I have a Think Tank Airport Takeoff. It holds two cameras, five lenses, a set of extension tubes, some filters, LensPen, and I can tie a tripod on it should the need arise. It gets a bit heavy for air travel, but it works fine if I am travelling by car, so you could look at the Think Tank bags. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories...eries.aspx

The other ones that will hold a lot of gear are the Gura Gear Bataflae 26L and 32L bags. They are backpacks and are not cheap. http://www.guragear.com/bataflae/.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Thanks for your reply Western Guy. I just wanted to know what makes to look out for as I have not been into photography for very long and dont know the good makes from the others. I will take a look at this site, thank you again.

(Mar 26, 2014, 03:48)Browser Mike Wrote:  Hi Jane,
I would give Amazon a try. They have a large range of bags, backpacks, cases etc. I am sure that you would find something to fit your requirement.
Regards, Mike.

Thanks Browser Mike. I have already looked but there were so many I wanted a professional opinion on what makes to go for.
Thank you for replying to me
with regards Jane

(Mar 26, 2014, 18:37)Wall-E Wrote:  

regards Jane

My current bag is a Tamrac Expedition 6x.
http://www.tamrac.com/products/expedition6x/
2 full size dx bodies, 4 lenses, speedlite w/battery pack, remote shutter release.
And THEN there's the memory card/battery pockets, and the laptop sleeve (where I put my speedlite modifiers, cards, notebook, etc......)
And a place to attach a tripod (which I find useless).

Hi Wall-E
Thank you for the information, I will look at this site. Its nice to get an opinion on equipment already being used as it gives me brands to look out for. Many thanks.
Regards Jane

(Mar 27, 2014, 08:40)GrahamS Wrote:  Jane, the choice of a camera bag is a very personal thing. I have never come across any two people who prefer the same bag and there are many to choose from. The type that best suits your individual needs will depend on your budget, your kit and the type of photography that you do. One thing that I do know from many years of experience, however, is that the quality of the bag or case is very important. The last thing you want to happen is for a handle, strap or closure to break when you are ten miles from base up a mountain. There are a number of quality manufacturers such as Loewe, Kata, Tamrac, Billingham to name but a few. There are also many cheap look-alike bags, and even some counterfeit bags, usually made in China, that are a trap for the un-wary.

I have a Loewe-Pro backpack that still looks new, with not even a stitch broken, after being worked hard on expeditions through the Australian outback, across Europe, Africa and the UK. It has paid for itself many times over and it has probably saved my insurance company a lot of money. Buy the best that you can afford and you won't be sorry.

Hi Graham-S
Thank you for your reply. It has helped me with regards to what brands are quality brands. I will certainly buy the best I can afford as I have already had an accident with a camera & 2 lenses
Regards Jane

Hi,

What I use is the Tamrac Expedition 5 and here is why.

Like everything there is a compromise. I wanted something that I could take as hand baggage and this was just within the limit.

I never try to carry everything. I take the gear that I am most likely to use on a particular shoot. My typical load is about 34 pounds. This is one reason I would never use a bag with a single shoulder strap as it puts all the load on just one side of your spine.

As most of my lenses are pro lenses they are big and heavy like 300mm F2.8 lens, 70-200mm F2.8 etc.

My advice is to use a medium sized bag and decide what you need. One of my favourite lenses for versatility is an 85mm f1.8 as it is pin sharp and can with an extension ring give great macro shots (much lighter than my 180mm Macro lens). If I need an panorama it is great and just stitch images together. Also ideal focal length for portraits.

Hope this helps.

Mike

www.Art-Seekers.com

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post