Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Oyster Catcher

Walking along my local bit of coastline yesterday, I came across a pair of Oyster Catchers.
They were very noisy and agitated so I assumed I was close to their nest site
I took several shots then explored the area. And there on the beach, were four perfectly formed Oyster Catcher eggs.
Dog walkers and kids playing nearby made me think just how vulnerable these eggs were.            

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Nice catch Jonny, eggs are well camouflaged, the birds must have trust!. Try sharpening the middle pic, makes a difference. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Beautiful captures; excellent series!!

Johny, I agree with Ed and Jeff.

Regarding Ed's suggestion of sharpening, it might benefit all three, as long as it is not overdone. However, before doing that, applying software fill-light to the bird in both #1 and #2 (working on the original image files) will help to bring out the structure and detail of the dark feathers and the eye.

Cheers.
Philip

Took the Liberty, would be much better on the original File. 2/3 mts, P/S. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thank you Ed, I see what you mean now.
I try my best to present a picture here without any post processing.
Does this mean tweaking here and there
means I haven't taken it properly

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

(May 18, 2014, 15:44)johnytrout Wrote:  ...I try my best to present a picture here without any post processing.
Does this mean tweaking here and there means I haven't taken it properly...

Not necessarily - in fact these are quite well exposed. However, the camera is capable of recording a much wider dynamic range (the difference in the amount of light between black and white) than can be displayed on a monitor or in a print. E.g. Within the "black" that we see on the screen, the camera has actually recorded lots of different shades of dark grey. The "tweaking" in post processing helps to reveal those shades, but I think that any technique should be gently applied to give subtle results.

Cheers.
Philip

Johnny, really a "Failing" of Digital Photography. Nothing to do with your abillity. Fact, if you do not post process, you are disadvantaged. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

More!. In conventional Photography, particularly B&W, you stood on your own feet. Did not give your neg/s to others to see if they could make a better print, ad certainly no "Programmes" to help you out. Printing was a skill, some were better than others. I was fortunate to have two and a half years under a very competent photographer/printer, learned a lot from him, all round. This was 50's. here is another print, bit over the top, but does show the essentials of Post Processing. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GerbenG
Apr 26, 2017, 14:20