Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bird photography: our best shots

Super series, congrats to all. Ed.

To each his own!

Thank's John I was an Ack Ack gunner in a past life !!! Lol but I'm rubbish at clay Pidgeon .

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 9, 2016, 06:15)Dougson Wrote:  We were down near Stewart Island ,New Zealand and the boat crew started feeding the Albatross which brought them in over our heads what a sight.

I very much like the quite unusual head shot of the flying albatross, good and sharp and pleasing subtle colour. Slightly envious Dougson of the opportunity to shoot albatross! Any more tucked away you could share?

Regards

Jeff

(Apr 9, 2016, 14:52)Freeman Wrote:  
(Apr 9, 2016, 06:15)Dougson Wrote:  We were down near Stewart Island ,New Zealand and the boat crew started feeding the Albatross which brought them in over our heads what a sight.

I very much like the quite unusual head shot of the flying albatross, good and sharp and pleasing subtle colour. Slightly envious Dougson of the opportunity to shoot albatross! Any more tucked away you could share?

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff and thanks yes I do have more which I'll post up tomorrow
Regards Doug

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Hi Dougson

Here's my version of your robin image. I lightened it, took out some distractions in the background and added a border for a Christmas Card effect. It would be interesting to see what others with more skills could do with it.

Regards

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Dougson wrote:

[b][i]For two mornings while walking the dogs this Robin would fly from branch to branch trying to get my attention so on the third day I took my. camera fitted with a Sigma 70 - 300 and she just posed for ages.[/i][/b]

Jeff replied suggesting positive exposure adjustment for birds in flight or in shade or against a bright sky. My previous shots e.g. of red kites were all taken with positive exposure compensation.

So, here are three images taken this afternoon with exposure compensation (as well as editing as you do with RAW pictures). 1: greenfinch in shady hedge 2: goldcrest in shade in a tree but with bright sky background 3: black headed gull in bright with bright sky.

See what you think...

Regards

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 10, 2016, 15:29)Freeman Wrote:  Dougson wrote:

[b][i]For two mornings while walking the dogs this Robin would fly from branch to branch trying to get my attention so on the third day I took my. camera fitted with a Sigma 70 - 300 and she just posed for ages.[/i][/b]

Jeff replied suggesting positive exposure adjustment for birds in flight or in shade or against a bright sky. My previous shots e.g. of red kites were all taken with positive exposure compensation.

So, here are three images taken this afternoon with exposure compensation (as well as editing as you do with RAW pictures). 1: greenfinch in shady hedge 2: goldcrest in shade in a tree but with bright sky background 3: black headed gull in bright with bright sky.

See what you think...

Regards

Jeff
Hi Jeff
The Pentax seems to err on the side of under exposure so I will dial in exposure compensation , these photos look great I am kicking myself as we saw a Sperm Whale and as the tail flukes rose as it dived the boat rose up & Down in the swell violently and the focus point shifted on to the sea beyond and I got a fantastic out of focus photo. That's life
Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

More of the Robin

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 10, 2016, 15:20)Freeman Wrote:  Hi Dougson

Here's my version of your robin image. I lightened it, took out some distractions in the background and added a border for a Christmas Card effect. It would be interesting to see what others with more skills could do with it.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff
To be honest I think I preferred my version, sure a touch of exposure increase is fine but he very kindly sat in his studio with a natural frame around him he now looks exposed ready for a sparrowhawk takeaway !
He needs sharpening but just a bit just to try keeping him real.
I really miss my old Rollieflex If I hadn't been a bit short of money years ago I would have kept it. We used to call 35mm Micky Mouse cameras because you point and shoot and don't tend scan the image with your MK1 eyeball now with the advent of digital you just discard what you don't want and clone it. Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Agree about the frame, first thoughts when I looked at it.
Doug, I still have a Rollie T. We did use it for causal Wedd guest shots, had a 16 on mask, for economy, plus a square neg was virtually always wasted space. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Evening Ed
I wouldn't mind a Pentax 645d there should be a second hand one around for a good price.
The later version for £7000 might be pushing my luck, as I might need an expensive operation to remove it from my rectum, my wife I fear has a limited sense of humour.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 9, 2016, 07:32)EdMak Wrote:  Super series, congrats to all. Ed.

Hi Ed
Did you ask last week what the difference was between Lightroom & Raw editor ! Well it's actually quite a lot , you can dodge and burn a Raw image, alter the perspective , Angle , the only thing you don't have really is Layers and whatever you do is non destructive so you could press the reset button and it will take you back to the start image and will save any changes you make until you press reset.
I hope your well & this helps Regards Doug.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Thanks Doug, I read that they were similar, and asked for opinion, just curious, John kindly replied. I only have CS4E, don't want another learning curve. Cheers, more thanks. Ed.

To each his own!

Oh! I forgot to say this was taken on South Island New Zealand on my Pentax K3 II using Astrotracer which is built - in to the Camera on bulb setting wide open ISO 800 @ 4.5 mins.
It shows the centre of our Galaxy on the left which sadly we can't see from our position in the North, you can see it as clear as this unaided as there is very little light pollution. I just couldn't stop getting up at stupid o'clock to go and see it it was awe inspiring . As a confirmed Pentaxian I kept looking for my home planet. Lol

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Birds: I posted this image on the forum some time ago in a WIP condition and benefitted from some ideas and encouragement to keep working at it. This I have done and after some while I feel it is beginning to click into shape, so thanks to all concerned. I hope you agree! It is one of a series I took of blue footed boobies. In their courting, they perform an elaborate foot stomping dance in which they circle around walk and away and come back, here the male is impressing the female with his footwork. Galapagos February 2015.

ISO 1250, 210mm, f8.0, 1/1250.

Regards all

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Jeff
Aren't they fantastic, I'm not sure what else you could do with the image, the only thing I can see is you could try and remove that dark rock it might be less distracting.
Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Lovely image, Jeff. Well processed.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

One from a weekend or two back. I had the speed set to 1/400th but still way too slow. C'est la vie. Should have upped the ISO and allowed for a shorter shutter speed, but by then the swan would have been long gone!

Nikon D7100 70-300mm zoom lens at 98mm 1/400th and ISO100

Here's a somewhat better bird-shot than my out-of-focus swan.

[Image: 14971243719_514a75d061_z.jpg]
Flat Top Robin # 1

Delicate. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 16, 2016, 16:36)Dougson Wrote:  Hi Jeff
Aren't they fantastic, I'm not sure what else you could do with the image, the only thing I can see is you could try and remove that dark rock it might be less distracting.
Regards Doug

Thanks for comments! These birds are actually at their best when diving full pelt into the sea. Well, I've entered this image as it stands for the local Camera Club annual show _ let's see if it gets selected to show on the night. I've probably done what my level of editing competence allows for the moment and there is always that issue about what you can and cant do with a wildlife image.

Regards all,

Jeff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post