Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Athena - How can I make this better?

As I said before, I'm working to improve my post-processing, but some photos still puzzle me. For instance, I like the composition on this one, but how can I improve it?

Attached Files Image(s)

Good question! First impression was that it is an upright pic. Photoshop sees it as a different colour, that's personal. This was 3 mts, P/S. it is an 84Kb File, from the original, I would anticipate better. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Thanks for sharing, Ed!

I know it's a matter of preference - I, for one, prefer "subtler" images that are improved by post-processing, but you don't immediately get the feeling that they are heavily edited.

Really nice idea though!

I agree with Ed that it should be a portrait format photo.

Perhaps consider monochrome? -

Cheers.
Philip

I could live with that. Ed.

To each his own!

As they say ...."Take one step closer, then another one"
I would take the original image down to waiste heigth.
The orb, helmet and spear are the main features, so make a statement!

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

Johnny,just had a quick try, could live with that also. Ed.

To each his own!

Well, seems like this photo is a real Rorscharch test - everybody sees something different Big Grin Glad I inspired other interpretations!

(Aug 25, 2014, 07:55)kNox Wrote:  Well, seems like this photo is a real Rorscharch test - everybody sees something different Big Grin Glad I inspired other interpretations!

It is a very personal decision for sure and any rules can be broken for the right reason to boot! Personally, capturing people, and this is a "people" I tend to always have the face or eyes aim at the center space of the image so here...the statue would be slightly offset to the left as your portrait preferrers have indicated.

(Oct 6, 2014, 23:03)Sirlarek Wrote:  
(Aug 25, 2014, 07:55)kNox Wrote:  Well, seems like this photo is a real Rorscharch test - everybody sees something different Big Grin Glad I inspired other interpretations!

It is a very personal decision for sure and any rules can be broken for the right reason to boot! Personally, capturing people, and this is a "people" I tend to always have the face or eyes aim at the center space of the image so here...the statue would be slightly offset to the left as your portrait preferrers have indicated.

Fair point. I'm going through a "crooked" phase where I try not to center things right now Smile

No expert, I, but I would go with portrait, retain full length, stick witht he delightful sky cloud, and bring out a little shine on the gold. To me the key thing about this staue is the almost incongruous contrast of the gold with a rather solemn grey cement texture to the rest.

Can I ask MrB also, while I like the mono version, do you not think that it accentuates the highlights in the less interesting areas?

Regards, Jeff

(Oct 17, 2014, 10:32)Freeman Wrote:  Can I ask MrB also, while I like the mono version, do you not think that it accentuates the highlights in the less interesting areas?

Regards, Jeff

That's a good question, Jeff. However, the example is a very rough edit of a very small JPEG from the screen (only 640x426 pixels and 86kB of data). With more care and attention to detail, conversion of the full-size colour file to create a monochrome image could be done in an infinite variety of ways, to bring out the tones in any way that you wish. It really is a matter of experimenting to get an appearance that you like.

Cheers.
Philip

Hello Knox

Just my input into your photo. I didnt really do any photoshop, like you I like the natural look. I have cropped your photo and added a bit of contrast. Lovely photo by the way.

Attached Files Image(s)

It does look better cropped! I like your suggestion Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by StudioJ
Feb 14, 2005, 22:57