Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Mild Autumn

Out in the woods yesterday and very few fungi to be seen but the shield bugs are making the most of the mild weather.

Birch Shield-bug (Elasmostethus interstinctus)
[Image: ShieldBug.jpg]

NIKON D300
1/60"
F16.0
Aperture-priority AE
105mm f/2.8 G VR
Sigma ring flash

Rivals the snake. Ed.

To each his own!

(Oct 30, 2014, 10:29)EdMak Wrote:  Rivals the snake. Ed.

Not strictly a bug-man Ed but just can't resist from purely a photographic viewpoint.

Your bio is interesting and I too recall the joy of the wet darkroom. Technology sure goes on a pace - Peter

Very sweet. I can't get them that big though.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Oct 30, 2014, 16:51)NT73 Wrote:  Very sweet. I can't get them that big though.

I find them to be good subjects as they don't disappear even it I have to hand hold the leaf in a breeze.

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Oct 30, 2014, 08:29)Plantsman Wrote:  Out in the woods yesterday and very few fungi to be seen but the shield bugs are making the most of the mild weather.

Birch Shield-bug (Elasmostethus interstinctus)
[Image: ShieldBug.jpg]

NIKON D300
1/60"
F16.0
Aperture-priority AE
105mm f/2.8 G VR
Sigma ring flash
I call these Stink Bugs.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Quote: Don Wrote - I call these Stink Bugs.

Hi Don, Yes, I understand they can be a garden and farm pest in the USA. Here in the UK they are much less common and of interest to the insect photographer, probably much to do with the shield-like shape attained in the adult form. The early instars can be quite rounded. I have a shot of the predator shield bug somewhere, in my view the least common here - i will find it and post. Peter

Nicely captured Plantsman!

What a beauty!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post