Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest November 2014: Vintage

The sluiceway to Mabry's Mill.

Attached Files Image(s)

The British Farthing minted from 1860 to 1956 - four farthings to the British Penny - 240 pennies to the British Pound.

[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]

Peter

DateTimeOriginal: 2014:11:23 19:03:30
Model: NIKON D90
ExposureTime: 1/200"
Aperture: F14.0
ExposureProgram: Manual
FocalLength: 105.0 mm
ISO: 400

Photography is a never-ending journey

Heads up. Ed.

To each his own!

(Nov 23, 2014, 13:41)Plantsman Wrote:  The British Farthing minted from 1860 to 1956 - four farthings to the British Penny - 240 pennies to the British Pound.

[Image: DSC_0004.jpg]

Peter

DateTimeOriginal: 2014:11:23 19:03:30
Model: NIKON D90
ExposureTime: 1/200"
Aperture: F14.0
ExposureProgram: Manual
FocalLength: 105.0 mm
ISO: 400

I'm so uninformed about predecimal UK coinage, that I thought that the bird might be a farthing. But a bit of work reveals a wren, and farthing derives from fouth-thing, as it's a 1/4 of a penny. Had to be a mathematical genius to make change in predecimal UK.

Malvern is the home of the Morgan. The ancient three wheeler has recently been re-invented, to run alongside the plus four and other models. Here are some I spotted on their first outing from the factory in October....

Attached Files Image(s)

I would like to submit this picture taken in Orford Quebec, October 2014
This was originally a maple sugar shack that I have repurposed as my blacksmith shop. It sits on a beautifully treed lot.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag41...51b471.jpg

Why not post it to show on this page? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

God knows I've tried!

I must be technically challenged!
Experiencing some difficulties navigating in this application.
When trying to upload my pic I received an 'image too large'
Error message
In the contest instructions pasting link was suggested.
If there is a better way i am all ears.

Thx

This is Bournemouth Pier in England. I think its early Victorian, which must qualify as vintage.

[Image: IMG_3645bournemouthpierphotobucket_zps756a9be1.jpg]

A testament to our pioneer roots
I am thinking a good stiff wind and this building just going to be a memory
Shot with 1DX and 300mmf2.8 IS 11 plus 2X 111 extender
Converted to black and white with NIK Silver Effects
Antique filter applied also in Silver Effects

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 25, 2014, 15:08)Freeman Wrote:  Malvern is the home of the Morgan. The ancient three wheeler has recently been re-invented, to run alongside the plus four and other models. Here are some I spotted on their first outing from the factory in October....

How did you get a picture of me driving the 4 wheeler? Smile

Regards.

Phil.

How did you get a picture of me driving the 4 wheeler? Smile
Regards.
Phil.
[/quote]

Phil - I am not aware that I did, did I? But I was standing on Guarlford Road just out of Barnard's Green in Malvern, taking tripod shots of the autumn colours - Guarlford Road being particularly photogenic at pretty much all times of the year but not least in the autumn. It's of my favourite spots in the entire universe. As I was taking the shots a spate of Morgan's appeared going in all directions, the drivers waving and posing in some cases! BUT if indeed I did shoot you, I would love to buy you lunch at the Green Dragon which is pretty much right at that spot as a thank you. Warm regards, Jeff

(Dec 2, 2014, 12:47)Freeman Wrote:  How did you get a picture of me driving the 4 wheeler? Smile
Regards.
Phil.

Phil - I am not aware that I did, did I? But I was standing on Guarlford Road just out of Barnard's Green in Malvern, taking tripod shots of the autumn colours - Guarlford Road being particularly photogenic at pretty much all times of the year but not least in the autumn. It's of my favourite spots in the entire universe. As I was taking the shots a spate of Morgan's appeared going in all directions, the drivers waving and posing in some cases! BUT if indeed I did shoot you, I would love to buy you lunch at the Green Dragon which is pretty much right at that spot as a thank you. Warm regards, Jeff

[/quote]

Hi Jeff,

In a previous life, when I was a Sales Rep, I used to regularly have lunch in 'The Plow & Harrow' located on the Guarlford Straight, 'not a million miles from the Green Dragon'. The place was then run by a bloke called Bill Tilley and his wife. A truly great publican and personality, I seemed to do more business in there over lunch than during the rest of the day. Smile Know the area well. PM me and we'll have a natter, maybe exchange numbers?

Best regards.

Phil.

(Nov 29, 2014, 23:34)vincentvictor@shaw.ca Wrote:  A testament to our pioneer roots
I am thinking a good stiff wind and this building just going to be a memory
Shot with 1DX and 300mmf2.8 IS 11 plus 2X 111 extender
Converted to black and white with NIK Silver Effects
Antique filter applied also in Silver Effects

Really nice image... where was it taken? How are you finding the 1Dx? I use the 1Ds3 and 1D4 not sure whether to change or wait for Canon and their rumoured 64MP 1DXs
Kind regards
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Apologies... 46PM not 64! I'm not a typist - obviously! Big Grin

Really nice image... where was it taken? How are you finding the 1Dx? I use the 1Ds3 and 1D4 not sure whether to change or wait for Canon and their rumoured 64MP 1DXs
Kind regards
Rolf
[/quote]

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Congrats to Freeman on your submission into October's photo contest (post 30 - number 2)!

Thanks to each of your for participating! Be sure to enter December's contest!

We love to see your photos!!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Well deserved Jeff, Congrats. Ed.

To each his own!

Congratulations Jeff - great image.

Peter

Photography is a never-ending journey

Dear friends

I am delighted to have won this 'Vintage' competition! And thanks for your congratulations, too. This allows me to say that I have found the Shuttertalk forum to be consistently encouraging throughout the time I have been participating. Your encouragement and sometimes provocation has spurred me on and inspired me to keep improving. This was in fact a serendipity shot in that while I was taking a series of tripod shots of the autumn colours locally, as I stood on the pavement a series of retro cars appeared on their first outing from the Morgan factory about a mile or so away, obviously in absolutely pristine condition. The owners were in high spirits, so they helped to make an appealing opportunity. Kind regards to Barbara and all fellow members of the forum.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Many congratulations, very well done, richly deserved.

Regards.

Phil.

(Dec 4, 2014, 06:07)Freeman Wrote:  Dear friends

I am delighted to have won this 'Vintage' competition! And thanks for your congratulations, too. This allows me to say that I have found the Shuttertalk forum to be consistently encouraging throughout the time I have been participating. Your encouragement and sometimes provocation has spurred me on and inspired me to keep improving. This was in fact a serendipity shot in that while I was taking a series of tripod shots of the autumn colours locally, as I stood on the pavement a series of retro cars appeared on their first outing from the Morgan factory about a mile or so away, obviously in absolutely pristine condition. The owners were in high spirits, so they helped to make an appealing opportunity. Kind regards to Barbara and all fellow members of the forum.

Jeff

Quite true that Shuttertalk is positive and encouraging, as well as the core goal of having some wonderful images shared.