Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Still waters

Took these yesterday. First one was ISO 400, f/8, 1/200 sec. 21mm focal length.

The second one was ISO 100, f/10, 1/125 sec. 43mm focal length in TV mode

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi Snaphappy!

Thanks for sharing your "Still Waters"... Pleasant images that reflect the Title well. Could I perhaps comment that the composition of the first image is marred by the distracting, partially visible structure on the left and the grassed area visible in the bottom right corner. Neither contribute to your image

Your second image too reflects well the title. My comment on this image too would be compositional. The horizon straight through the centre hinders the eye from the focus of your image which I take to be the boat on the right? The foreground is far too busy and also serves to distract as does a second boat to the left.

I like a little more contrast so I have set my preferences in camera to provide a contrasty start to any image I take. This is not everybody's ideal though so each to their own and I am no "expert" so only offer my opinion or you to take or leave.

I have made a few compositional changes and slight enhancements to your images to perhaps lend a different perspective on them for your consideration. Others seeing them will have their own thoughts and will hopefully pass them on to you to help you in your Photography journey.

You might like to take a look at this link... they are "rules but that is not to say they cannot be broken... many creative photographers break many "rules" and come up with game changing images but the "rules" may help to understand the basics and then how you can gain advantage in their breaking... :-) http://digital-photography-school.com/di...tion-tips/

Have a great day and I look forward to more of your images

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Jan 21, 2015, 14:01)Rolf Wrote:  Hi Snaphappy!

Thanks for sharing your "Still Waters"... Pleasant images that reflect the Title well. Could I perhaps comment that the composition of the first image is marred by the distracting, partially visible structure on the left and the grassed area visible in the bottom right corner. Neither contribute to your image

Your second image too reflects well the title. My comment on this image too would be compositional. The horizon straight through the centre hinders the eye from the focus of your image which I take to be the boat on the right? The foreground is far too busy and also serves to distract as does a second boat to the left.

I like a little more contrast so I have set my preferences in camera to provide a contrasty start to any image I take. This is not everybody's ideal though so each to their own and I am no "expert" so only offer my opinion or you to take or leave.

I have made a few compositional changes and slight enhancements to your images to perhaps lend a different perspective on them for your consideration. Others seeing them will have their own thoughts and will hopefully pass them on to you to help you in your Photography journey.

You might like to take a look at this link... they are "rules but that is not to say they cannot be broken... many creative photographers break many "rules" and come up with game changing images but the "rules" may help to understand the basics and then how you can gain advantage in their breaking... :-) http://digital-photography-school.com/di...tion-tips/

Kind regards

Rolf

Thank you for your comments Rolf. The first photo looks a lot better with cropping out the grass and pier. As to the second photo, I was trying to combine a peaceful landscape with the reflections of the grassy banks in the water. I did not want to get rid of the boats as it is part of the scenery.

With regards to the contrast, we all have different tastes and I find it amazing the way it changes things. I have the same photo with different contrast, lighting etc and they look so different.

Thanks once again
Jane

(Jan 22, 2015, 04:39)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Jan 21, 2015, 14:01)Rolf Wrote:  Hi Snaphappy!

Kind regards

Rolf

Thank you for your comments Rolf. The first photo looks a lot better with cropping out the grass and pier. As to the second photo, I was trying to combine a peaceful landscape with the reflections of the grassy banks in the water. I did not want to get rid of the boats as it is part of the scenery.

With regards to the contrast, we all have different tastes and I find it amazing the way it changes things. I have the same photo with different contrast, lighting etc and they look so different.

Thanks once again
Jane

Just looked at the link you sent. Thank you for that, very informative but a lot to take in. Hopefully I will get there one day.

Jane

Different Take. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Good afternoon, Jane.

I would agree with Rolf's good advice, in particular the points about composition. I like his first edit as he has introduced warmer tones to the image. I also like the way that Ed has included much more of the interesting reflections of the sky, although the processing has gone too far for my taste - more like a painting now.

The second shot suffers from factors mainly beyond your control - namely the fairly dull flat light, and the uninteresting sky. If you were able to return in better conditions, there is much scope for good images there.

Here are two more compositions you might consider, by zooming in a bit more, thereby splitting the field of view into two. Both attempt to enhance depth in the view, by giving more prominence to the foreground (by lifting both brightness and colour), and both reduce the proportion of uninteresting sky:

This takes the viewer through the gap in the foreground, via the red buoy, to the boat on the left, then around the background to the other boat.

In this one, similarly, the viewer goes via the smaller and larger foreground 'islands' to the boat on the right, then around the background and to the other boat.

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you Ed and Phil for your comments. I can see the difference splitting the photos makes regarding composition. I will certainly be going back & taking more snaps Smile

Regards
Jane

I prefer this one, with all the boats showing, grows on me. Again, a different take. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Jan 22, 2015, 09:07)EdMak Wrote:  I prefer this one, with all the boats showing, grows on me. Again, a different take. Ed.

I like this one better, does not look too photo-shopped. Thank you Ed.

Jane

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
Feb 14, 2005, 04:59