Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Earth Star

Geastrum triplex - I have yet to come across one of these in pristine condition.

[Image: Earth%20Star1_zpsnknd3jfx.jpg]

Model: NIKON D300
Lens: 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G VR
ExposureTime: 1/60"
Aperture: F5.3
ISO: 400
FocalLength: 200.0 mm

Photography is a never-ending journey

Really impressive.

Some Kind of Fungus? Looks like you were out on a very wet day!

Great capture.

Well, it's a pristine picture. Ed.

To each his own!

(Feb 26, 2015, 11:40)EnglishBob Wrote:  Some Kind of Fungus? Looks like you were out on a very wet day!

Great capture.

Yes Craig, sorry for not saying.
It's one of the less common species of fungi (in my area) but overall the most frequently seen of the several earthstar species. It is short lived and soon loses it's true star shape. The spherical structure in the 'saucer' is the 'spore sac'.

Never seen anything like this Peter... guessing it is not for sharing a plate with the sausages, eggs and bacon?Huh

Nice shot... as always!

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Feb 26, 2015, 14:34)Rolf Wrote:  Never seen anything like this Peter... guessing it is not for sharing a plate with the sausages, eggs and bacon?Huh

Nice shot... as always!

Kind regards

Rolf

You are right there Rolf, it's poisonous, as I think all earthstars are.

Wow! This is interesting. Is it a mushroom?

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

(Feb 26, 2015, 17:37)Don Schaeffer Wrote:  Wow! This is interesting. Is it a mushroom?

Usually the definition 'mushroom' and 'toadstool' refer to the above ground parts of a fungus having a distinct stem and cap as in the cultivated edible mushroom Agaricus bisporus. The whole, which includes the below ground structure, the 'mycelium' is called the fungus or fungi (pl). Based on my knowledge, the earthstars don't count amongst the mushrooms.
This is just my loose definition Don, and best looked up for a definitive answer as the scientific classification of the Kingdom Fungi is a complex one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post