Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Motion photos

Hi everyone
Here are some photos I have taken of things in motion. I have just started doing these and any comments and advice are welcome.

The swans were taken at f.13 1/160 sec. ISO 100 a) 100mm focal, b) 229mm focal and c) 123mm focal length in TV mode

The dog was taken at f5.6, ISO 320 1/1600 sec. 250mm focal length in AV.
All taken with my canon eos 600d

Kinds regards
Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

Superb photography. The only one I can critique on is the one where the dog's hind leg paw is just out of the frame.

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Apr 20, 2015, 06:48)Plantsman Wrote:  Superb photography. The only one I can critique on is the one where the dog's hind leg paw is just out of the frame.

Thank you Peter, I didn't realise about the hind paw until I got home and put it on my laptop, the dog was running fast at the time. I was pleased with the swan pictures, it was a lovely day.

Kind regards Jane

The thrid swan picture is my favorite of the series, where you can actually see the motion in it's wing with a little motion blur, adds greatly to the image.

Hello Jane.

I think the swan photos are very good - you have captured some good, interesting poses there, rather than the more common "sitting on the water displaying" pose!

The dog looks a bit underexposed to me - perhaps it was a dull day but nevertheless, if it were mine, I would prefer to give it a bit of a boost in processing (brightness, contrast and sharpening), e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

With Philip here. A quick transplant. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

The third one, to me, would look better as an upright ?? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

I like both the swan and the dog photos. Not much of a critique, more like personal preference, but I always like a shallower depth of field for subjects that are in motion - it gives a more dynamic view to the pictures.

(Apr 20, 2015, 08:57)EnglishBob Wrote:  The thrid swan picture is my favorite of the series, where you can actually see the motion in it's wing with a little motion blur, adds greatly to the image.

Thank you for your comments. I have a few other pictures with more motion blur but the swan was busy washing itself so not great photos. I will put a couple on to show you.

Regards Jane

(Apr 20, 2015, 10:17)MrB Wrote:  Hello Jane.

I think the swan photos are very good - you have captured some good, interesting poses there, rather than the more common "sitting on the water displaying" pose!

The dog looks a bit underexposed to me - perhaps it was a dull day but nevertheless, if it were mine, I would prefer to give it a bit of a boost in processing (brightness, contrast and sharpening), e.g. -

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you for your comments Philip. It was an overcast day and the dog and sand were similar colours. I like yours better, he stands out more. I did do a bit of sharpening, will practice post processing more Smile

Regards Jane

(Apr 20, 2015, 13:51)EdMak Wrote:  The third one, to me, would look better as an upright ?? Ed.

Wow, the dog looks great. How did you extend the picture on the left hand side. I could have cloned the foot if there was space, but wouldn't know how to do what you have done, thanks.

I tried making the swan a portrait from my original, but to me it looks too square. If I had thought about it when I took the photo I should just have turned the camera round, but time was a factor to get the shot Smile

Regards Jane

(Apr 20, 2015, 23:08)kNox Wrote:  I like both the swan and the dog photos. Not much of a critique, more like personal preference, but I always like a shallower depth of field for subjects that are in motion - it gives a more dynamic view to the pictures.

I agree Knox, but I was so excited by the swans activity I didn't want to miss the action. First action shots and I forgot depth of field Sad Better luck next time I hope.

Regards Jane

I used P/S Image/Canvas Size, to add an inch onto the pic, left, then cloned the pic background onto it

Here is the background blurred. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Apr 21, 2015, 06:00)EdMak Wrote:  I used P/S Image/Canvas Size, to add an inch onto the pic, left, then cloned the pic background onto it

Here is the background blurred. Ed.

Thank you Ed. I will try that myself and see if I can add his foot. Many thanks

Regards Jane

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by snaphappy
May 5, 2016, 14:42
Last Post by Rikstwinkle
Sep 7, 2013, 01:32
Last Post by Toad
Sep 26, 2010, 17:55