Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lichens in the woods

My favorite woods had three new lichens I hadn't seen before. They make great subjects, but I'm not a plant person. Maybe Peter the Plantsman can tell me about them.

Attached Files Image(s)

These are Fungi. not lichen.

That aside, great series of images, nicely done.

Super. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 31, 2015, 08:00)EnglishBob Wrote:  These are Fungi. not lichen.

That aside, great series of images, nicely done.

Thanks! I've been calling everything that grows funny in the woods lichens for lack of education on the subject. Anyway, they are fascinating, because of their interesting growth.

Excellent captures - well taken.

Difficult ground there czkid. I would say the first two belong to the genus Trametes a form of bracket fungi that are widespread all the year on dead wood. The third is also a bracket fungus but I suspect not of the Trametes genus.

The growth of the first one has for some reason become distorted.

Photography is a never-ending journey

(Sep 2, 2015, 05:02)Plantsman Wrote:  Difficult ground there czkid. I would say the first two belong to the genus Trametes a form of bracket fungi that are widespread all the year on dead wood. The third is also a bracket fungus but I suspect not of the Trametes genus.

The growth of the first one has for some reason become distorted.
Thanks, Peter.....The first one was very deep in woods that gets very little direct sunlight. and, it is near a body of water. I don't know if that makes a difference.

(Sep 1, 2015, 04:35)czkid Wrote:  Thanks! I've been calling everything that grows funny in the woods lichens for lack of education on the subject. Anyway, they are fascinating, because of their interesting growth.

From what I know, lichen are those little patches of color you see growing on rocks, they almost look mineral in nature.

Lichens are symbiotic groups of algae and fungus. I've seen them up close. The strands of algae may have tiny balls of fungus living among them.

[Image: treelichens.jpg]

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post