Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Question on Depth

Hello, I'm fairly new to photography, but would like some ideas on how to take a good depth of field shot, if anyone could give me any tips it would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Craig.

Welcome. What equipment do you use. Ed.

To each his own!

(Oct 4, 2015, 02:14)EdMak Wrote:  Welcome. What equipment do you use. Ed.

Hello, I have a Nikon DF, 24 mm & a 50 mm lens.

Select Landscape from the settings, this is a good "Safety net, it will go for the smallest aperture, (Higher number), commensurate with Weather/Light conditions. The 24mm lens will give a very good depth of field, even on full auto. On manual settings select F11, as a starting point, make sure the shutter speed is not to slow, although theoretically anything above a 1/25 would be acceptable. Increase the ISO if necessary, but, not above 800.
There are other factors, but the above is, to me, a good starting point. Hope to see some pics!! Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

(Oct 4, 2015, 08:57)EdMak Wrote:  Select Landscape from the settings, this is a good "Safety net, it will go for the smallest aperture, (Higher number), commensurate with Weather/Light conditions. The 24mm lens will give a very good depth of field, even on full auto. On manual settings select F11, as a starting point, make sure the shutter speed is not to slow, although theoretically anything above a 1/25 would be acceptable. Increase the ISO if necessary, but, not above 800.
There are other factors, but the above is, to me, a good starting point. Hope to see some pics!! Cheers. Ed.

Thanks Ed for the advice I will go out tomorrow & have a go, then I will have to work out how to post them on here.
Craig

[Image: DSC_8561.jpg]
How"s this I hope I have done it right, please let me know if you get the picture.
Thanks.
Craig

Puzzling EXIF data, was this taken Early afternoon, 1250 ISO, 4.9 Sec @ F11. Looks bit dark, to me, on my monitor. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Looks okay on mine (all 4 of them).

I agree with Ed on both points.

The EXIF data is a puzzle at first reading - but then presumably at 2.02 p.m. a strong neutral density filter was used to force a long exposure for the flowing water effect.

Nevertheless the image looks a bit dark - I think human vision would perceive more in the shadow regions. Indeed the histogram is bunched up well to the left, indicating that there is quite a lot of pure black in the image, and suggesting under-exposure.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks for the comments,
I will go back & try again.

If you can shoot again, you might consider the ISO - by using a higher value such as 1250, you are decreasing the dynamic range of the camera, so try a low value, 100 - 200. You might then also open the aperture to 5.6 to increase exposure - everything in the scene from about 1.5 metres should be within the depth of field of a 24mm lens. The exposure time will, of course, also need to be adjusted to give a suitable exposure for the image.

Cheers.
Philip

Hi
One thing you could consider to get a better depth of field, is something called 'stacking'

This is where you take several shots of the same thing, [and I would advise using a tripod] focus firstly on your foreground, then the middle ground and finally the background.

Open everything up on lightroom, transfer your selected photos to Photoshop and stitch them together. This can be used for landscapes, close-ups and product macro work like watch faces.

Here is something I found on You tube which explains it all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OrHgQztUBQ

Have Fun

regards Barry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Phil J
Aug 29, 2015, 07:52
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 17, 2015, 11:41