Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Panoramas.

How many of you photograph panoramas? I know the iphone does it for you but I mean taking several exposures and stitching them together. I started out using early Nikon software, which was a bit hit and miss in obtaining a smooth join, but the new software is excellent. Now I use Lightroom 6.2.
Both these were taken with my Nikon D80. The first, the Forth Bridges, has no data, as the software didn't retain that, but the second, of Burntisland docks, was taken at 1/800 sec, f5.6, ISO 125 using my 70 - 300 mm lens set for 70 mm.

If I had had a wider angle lens with me, that day at Burntisland, I would not have required to create a panorama. But I didn't. I was travelling light that day. Not always a good idea.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

How many pics, for each. Impressed. Ed.

To each his own!

I do make composite images, John, but often they are not really panoramas - I'm not keen on the letterbox format, so I don't usually go for anything greater than about 2:1. As I often go out with only a prime lens on the camera, I like to try composite shots to get the wider view. Here are a couple from this year:

Hughenden Manor, Buckinghamshire:

[ Pentax K-5II; 40mm prime; ISO 160; f/8; 1/200s ]
(Best viewed by clicking the image to get the larger size.)

Marlow Church, Buckinghamshire:

[ Pentax K-5IIs; 35mm prime; ISO 160; f/5.6; 1/400s ]

For each photo, five JPEG images were shot in Manual Mode, with the settings as shown above. On my PC the five were then stitched together in Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor), which is free software, and then tweaked in PaintShop Pro X6.

Cheers.
Philip

(Nov 22, 2015, 07:27)EdMak Wrote:  How many pics, for each. Impressed. Ed.

The first one was about 4 or 5 images, the second one 3.
The postbox image was created for use in the Nikon software, which allowed you to view it at full screen and seamlessly pan round the image. You could even do full 360 degree images. That format is not much use for anything else.
Like you, Philip, I have also done vertical images.

Love the rendition of Hughenden Manor, Buckinghamshire.

What is that interesting building, John?

Cheers.
Philip

Sorry I didn't say. It is the City Chambers, in Dunfermline.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post