Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Type 67 Diamond Jubilee.

After the opening of the Borders Railway, running from Edinburgh, down through Stow, through Galashiels to Tweedbank, regular steam hauled excursions plied the line. Because of the steep gradients and lack of a means of turning the loco at Tweedbank, a diesel loco was attached to the rear.
My wife and I were booked on the line for the final trip of the year, back in October, and here is a photograph of the said diesel loco.
Type 67 "Diamond Jubilee", here seen at Waverley Station, Edinburgh.
Nikon D80, Nikon 18 - 135 mm lens, set for 22 mm.
1/30 sec, f5, ISO 900, Aperture priority.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

That is a spectacular photo!!

Good shot, John.

Interesting, a diesel-electric loco pushing a steam train; does that involve skilful coordination and communication between drivers in each engine, or is there an ingenious electronics box which enables control of the rear diesel-electric from the cab of the steam engine?

Cheers.
Philip

I think it is the former, rather than the latter. The main point of the diesel, is because the crew of the steam loco would be too far from the front of the train, on the return journey, to safely see signals. The assistance given by the diesel, on the outward journey, was purely because it was there. The A4 Pacific was more than upto the job of hauling the rake, unaided.
This was the only image I was able to get of the loco, during the journey itself, taken at an extreme oblique angle, through the dirty carriage window, and cropped to death!

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Thank you, John.

Cheers.
Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post