Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cemetery on a rock!

Here is, what I consider, an interesting picture of a cemetery on a rock. The location is Stirling and the shot was taken from Stirling Castle. Day wasn't great but what would you do with it?

Taken in March 2004 with my Fuji FinePix S602 ZOOM, 1/250 sec. f3.6, ISO 200.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Apr 11, 2016, 04:02)Jocko Wrote:  Here is, what I consider, an interesting picture of a cemetery on a rock. The location is Stirling and the shot was taken from Stirling Castle. Day wasn't great but what would you do with it?

You're right on both counts, Jocko. Very interesting photo and the light did you no favours. I think the shot is fine as it is, but if pushed I'd say there's too much good stuff in there and as a result there isn't a single place for the eye to rest, and there aren't really any lines that lead one into the picture - you could argue there's a nice little leading line from bottom left, along the path, up to the stones at the bottom of the outcrop, and from there back up towards the church. This wouldn't be wrong, but the lines feel a little hidden. The bottom right is lovely, the church and the white building are great, the rocky outcrop graveyard is great, and I think in the early morning light it would have been a winner as is. Not sure there's anything to be done with it that keeps all those elements. I had a go at stripping them all out and trying to bring the eye onto the rocky outcrop by darkening everything but that area. But it was more experimentation than a real answer to your question. I'll look forward to seeing what else people suggest.

Wow. That is amazing. I seldom think of turning a photograph into an artwork.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Apr 11, 2016, 13:09)Jocko Wrote:  I seldom think of turning a photograph into an artwork.

It's the first thing I always think of with photos. I think I'm a failed artist at heart.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Nov 10, 2016, 04:22
Last Post by WesMal
Apr 16, 2016, 15:41
Last Post by Browser Mike
Apr 5, 2016, 08:30