Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Misty River walk

Hi all, I took these on 13th April between 8.15am and 8.30am. It was very misty and the sun was just starting to come through. All comments welcome.
Taken with my Canon 600d, 18-55mm lens.
Photo 1. f/11, 1/320 sec. ISO 100, 18mm focal length
Photo 2. f/10, 1/250 sec. ISO 100, 37mm focal length
Regards Jane

Attached Files Image(s)

Do like No 1 Jane. Atmospheric.
My knowledge is not refined enough to offer a constructive critique. Others are far more capable.
I just think it is terrific.
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Did not waste any time Jane. Well spotted and taken, should be happy. You have made progress since your first pics, keep going.

I also liked the third one!! Regards. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

No 1,excellentSmile

SmileJohn

Jane

These are lovely photos. A real nice peaceful quality and beautifully photographed. It shows the value of getting out early (or late).

The first one is a bit busy composition-wise for me - although I have simple tastes so it's very personal comment. Others might like all the activity. Being specific, the reflection of the masts are cut-off which is probably the main issue. A much more minor issue is that there appears to be a third boat behind the one on the left which just distracts slightly. The foreground sand (just edging into the picture) is also a bit of distraction -although it has the start of lovely reflection and textures in it, so more rather than less of this in the image may have been worth investigating. The buoys don't have the lovely pattern of the second image (see below). The reflection of the sun is also a bit bright and burns out a circle of white which is very bright compared to the rest of the image. Finally the ladder and the floating platform to the left, whilst very interesting and again worth exploring another day, are a little of a distraction in this image.

If all of that sounds a lot - it's not. It's a lovely image (and from the posts here has been very well received already) I'm just pointing out the things that jump out at me.

The second one has none of these issues - it's delightful. No distractions, a lovely line of buoys that makes a great triangle with the boat. There are various ways to crop this to make it even better (though it's great as is). You could crop just to the left of the boat (just take off the left hand edge where nothing is happening) and really focus on that triangle. I think that would be superb. However, in my edit I've gone for a simple foreground, middle, background straight diagonal composition . I've upped the contrast to bring the three items out more, and I've simplified things by cloning out some buoys and dust-spots. But there are loads of ways of making this one look super - as with any picture, if you start with good stuff you'll end with good stuff. Well done!

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

Mike - thank you for your kind comment

Ed - thank you for your comment. I hope I am improving, sometimes I think I think I am, then I mess up Sad - practice makes perfect so they say.

John - thank you for your kind comment.

Delb0y - I appreciate all the tips and suggestions you have pointed out. I agree about the mast reflection and sand, but was hindered by a river wall. This cut off the reflection and meant I could not get more of the sandy beach in the photo. I like your cropped version.

Regards Jane

Nice images, but I really like what Derek has done with the last one. It can be difficult increasing the contrast without destroying the mist which makes the image. I have ruined lots of images that way!

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Thank you John. I also like what Derek has done, although I think I would have kept a couple more mooring buoys in too.
Jane

(Apr 17, 2016, 04:01)snaphappy Wrote:  Thank you John. I also like what Derek has done, although I think I would have kept a couple more mooring buoys in too.
Jane

As I said, Jane, there's a great composition using a triangle which would keep the buoys. Might be worth experimenting with that.

Of course, all this composition stuff is a personal thing. It's the number one thing I look for in images, but many people don't worry about it at all, so please don't feel the need to crop or clone or change images at all.

(Apr 17, 2016, 06:25)delb0y Wrote:  
(Apr 17, 2016, 04:01)snaphappy Wrote:  Thank you John. I also like what Derek has done, although I think I would have kept a couple more mooring buoys in too.
Jane

As I said, Jane, there's a great composition using a triangle which would keep the buoys. Might be worth experimenting with that.

Of course, all this composition stuff is a personal thing. It's the number one thing I look for in images, but many people don't worry about it at all, so please don't feel the need to crop or clone or change images at all.

Always pleased to have input Delb0y. Your crop was an improvement on my original, and we all look for different things in a photo. Thank you for the time you have taken to help me on my photography path Smile
Best wishes Jane

What Impresses me with these two images is the creative, dare to try something aspect of them. Kept my eye for some time!

Great series, very atmospheric.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jul 5, 2018, 13:42
Last Post by MrB
Oct 20, 2017, 00:03
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jan 25, 2017, 13:37