Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First shot at panning

Tried first shot at panning today at the horse race park,need your take on this shot...Wes

Good image but the rough ground has introduced vertical movement of the driver, blurring him a bit. Panning only effects the horizontal movement. Perhaps a faster shutter speed would have helped, but it is a balance between reducing the vertical without overdoing reducing the horizontal. Did you take any at 1/60 or 1/125 sec?

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Wes, your 1/30 sec, was to slow for this type of shot, up it in stages to see what is best for you, good attempt though, here is a recovery version. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Think i was panning in a upward movement in stead of horizontal or little camera shake,practice makes perfect...thanks for the comments...Wes

But suffice to say I very much like the movement blur on the horse's legs and you might lose that if you up the speed too much. Another day, of course, on a flatter piece of ground, it would have been even better than it already is. Good shot! Jeff

Thankyou all for your comments...Wes

Practice Wes, lots of practiceSmile

SmileJohn

Nice shot!!! But too blurry... Just improve in the next photograph....

Hi Wes the answer is to keep trying I would if possible go for a shutter speed of 125 as minimum you can always go faster or slower from there,its agood place to start, try to bring your elbow into your body to almost form a tripod and practice rotating the upper part of your body to achieve smooth panning.

RAW to the core.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Aug 3, 2013, 07:30
Last Post by EdMak
Aug 1, 2013, 01:02
Last Post by EdMak
Jul 30, 2013, 09:40