Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Campbeltown

Here is an image I have kicked around on a number of occasions. It is Campbeltown, on the Mull of Kintyre, taken on an overcast October day. You can see the palms, unusual for Scotland, which grow courtesy of the Gulf Stream which warms this part of the Scottish coast.
What would you do with this one?

Fuji Finepix S9500, Auto mode, 1/200 sec, f3.7, ISO 200, 85mm lens equivalent.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

John, again this is one of your images which is OK if you like it, and any adjustments are likely to be a matter of personal taste. For me, the contrast and saturation (particularly reds and yellows) have been taken just a bit too far beyond realism.

Cheers.
Philip

I felt there was too much of a green bias. This came about because, with the buildings, etc, of a colour I was happy with, the sky had a Magenta hue, and correcting that gave me the colours I posted here. Don't worry about criticising images I post in the Critique forum. I only post here if I am NOT happy with the image. However, sometimes parts I am happy with are criticised and parts I am not happy with are left alone!

Here is the original. I have found that lots of overcast skies hereabouts, tend to have a magenta hue to them.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

John, the street of buildings looks correct to me in the original. All you need to do is desaturate the sky almost completely (to give a realistic grey sky), and reduce the contrast and saturation of the foreground strip of grass.

Cheers.
Philip