Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Oleg Strashnov

Here is another long distance shot, this time of the oil support vessel "Oleg Strashnov" anchored in the Firth of Forth. I found this a difficult shot to deal with.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens, Auto mode, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO 250, 450mm lens equivalent, processed in Lightroom (including a little Dehaze) and Nik Software.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Interesting subject and I am usually a fan of contrast but it feels a little over done in the ocean in this one to me. Maybe a byproduct of the dehaze process.

Understand what you mean John, haze is haze, and depicts what you viewed, so, this does not! Hope you are progressing well. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

The problem with these long range shots is they tend to be very Hi key, with no real blacks in them. Stretching the range to include some black is where the problems arise. Here is the original image I was working with.

Healing slowly but surely. Desperate to get out but the stairs keep me prisoner.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Now see what you mean John, challenging. Any sharpening, overall, just make the haze appear as noise/grain, this was 15 mts. in CS4. Still Iffy. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!