Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Share - Canals

The Grand Union Canal

These were taken at various times during 2015, along the Grand Union Canal in Hertfordshire:

1. The iron works at Bulbourne near Tring:

[ ISO=200; f=20mm; Av=f/7.1; Tv=1/500s ]

2. The lock and the keepers' cottages at Cowroast near Tring:

[ Composite image; ISO=400; f=40mm; Av=f/8; Tv=1/60s ]

3. Boats moored at Bourne End near Berkhamsted:

[ ISO=100; f=28mm; Av=f/5.6; Tv=1/400s ]

4. A narrowboat passes under a narrow bridge near Hemel Hempstead:

[ ISO=160; f=40mm; Av=f/7.1 Tv=1/400s; +1 EV ]

5. Passing through the Fishery Inn lock at Hemel Hempstead:

[ ISO=160; f=40mm; Av=f/8; Tv=1/200s ]

[ Pentax K-5 II/s; Images adjusted in PaintShop Pro X8 ]

Images best viewed at the larger size. Any comments and critique always welcome.

Please feel free to add more photographs about canals into this thread. Please remember to include some information about each one. Thank you.

Cheers.
Philip

I really miss the canals and narrow boats. I grew up about 250' from a set of locks on the Erewash Canal, loved to sit and fish and watch the boats go by. Great series.

Lovely set of images, Philip. I particularly like the second one.

Here are a couple of shots of the Caledonian Canal. Taken October 2008.

Fort Augustus.

Nikon D80, Auto mode, 1/250 sec, f8, ISO 200, 39mm lens equivalent.

This one is just south of Inverness.

Nikon D80, Auto mode, 1/180 sec, f11, ISO 200, 27mm lens equivalent.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Philip, John, lovely set of pics, great. Ed.

To each his own!

Here is an earlier shot, this time of the Crinan Canal, at Bellanoch Bridge. Taken November 2007, it was a drizzly dreich day.

Fuji FinePix S9500, Auto mode, 1/300 sec, f2.8, ISO 400.

Thank you, Craig, John and Ed, for your comments. I suspected that I could rely on you, John, to supply some good canal shots. I haven't seen the Caledonian Canal - it appears to be much bigger than the canals around here.

Cheers.
Philip

Philip. The Caledonian Canal can handle vessels up to 35ft beam, having been designed to allow wooden sailing ships to avoid the long and treacherous journey round the North of Scotland. The 29 locks were the largest built at the time.

Very atmospheric John. Ed.

To each his own!

John - thank you for the interesting info. re. the Caledonian canal.

Cheers.
Philip

Some lovely photos there, Philip and John. Most enjoyable. I enjoy taking shots of canals, too. Cycling along the tow-paths and fishing as well. In fact, you can't beat a good canal.

Much of my early work (well, it's all early so far) was of canals, as the Gloucester & Sharpness is on the doorstep.

Here's a tall ship going along there just a month or two back:
[Image: 25644143406_8552269ec2_c.jpg]

This one is the Stroudwater Canal, also fairly close.
[Image: 22061351174_99faf10752_c.jpg]

The Birmingham and Worcester:
[Image: 26345758273_53b7f88419_c.jpg]

And finally the Oxford canal at Cropredy
[Image: 26146046031_0774607b05_c.jpg]

Wonderful photos, Delboy. The tall ship must have been a splendid sight. Your toning really suits the third.

Thank you for your post.
Philip

Great series, to me, the tall ship has a bit too much contrast, on my monitor, worth a bit more "tuning" and, extend the top ? Ed.

To each his own!

Here is another shot of the Crinan Canal, this time at the Ardrishaig Basin.

[attachment=6422]
Fuji FinePix S9500, Auto mode, 1/400 sec, f2.8, ISO 200.

(Jun 22, 2016, 05:16)MrB Wrote:  Please feel free to add more photographs about canals into this thread. Please remember to include some information about each one. Thank you.

Cheers.
Philip

First  thanks for the invitation to post

Secondly lovely country side making for pleasing images

I live along a canal I'll try posting here
Our canals are not as scenic nor historic  they were dug  about 50 years ago as a means of developing housing land.
were able to get to the Gulf of Mexico and out to the Atlantic
In Addition to seeing the neighbors work on their boats  or fish there is an occasional Alligator or Dolphin
I envy you your photo ops

(Jun 25, 2016, 17:43)pixelpusher Wrote:  
(Jun 22, 2016, 05:16)MrB Wrote:  Please feel free to add more photographs about canals into this thread. Please remember to include some information about each one. Thank you.

Cheers.
Philip

First  thanks for the invitation to post

Secondly lovely country side making for pleasing images

I live along a canal I'll try posting here
Our canals are not as scenic nor historic  they were dug  about 50 years ago as a means of developing housing land.
were able to get to the Gulf of Mexico and out to the Atlantic
In Addition to seeing the neighbors work on their boats  or fish there is an occasional Alligator or Dolphin
I envy you your photo ops

Pixelpusher, thank you very much for posting (but I would prefer to respond to a real first name!).

A set of interesting and varied images in your two posts. I really like the wide-angle shots - the second and the seventh - but I would try to make the second horizontal. What has happened to the boat in number 4?

Cheers.
Philip

(Jun 26, 2016, 04:31)MrB Wrote:  Pixelpusher, thank you very much for posting (but I would prefer to respond to a real first name!).

A set of interesting and varied images in your two posts. I really like the wide-angle shots - the second and the seventh - but I would try to make the second horizontal. What has happened to the boat in number 4?

Cheers.
Philip

Nice to meet you my Given Name is Bernie.  Mostly I am about photography BUT in this case your topic ( Canals) really caught my interest.  Located on the Gulf side of Florida USA

Our  canals are tidal and of salt water  the neighbor in no. 4 was taking advantage of a low tide to scrape some sea life  off his bottom

Ideally one keeps his/her boat bottom dry by using a lift. ( example image posted )

the sailboat image here shows how low the tide can go.  When storms come by it can be over the sea wall

We have about 500 Km of these man made canals in the county

These are essentially my first posts on this site.  I noticed they appear rather small compared to others. What size file is normally posted here for a full screen view ?

A few years back visited the Eire Canal.  A section still operated mule driven barges as a tourist attraction

The Erie Canal is a canal in New York that is part of the east-west, cross-state route of the New York State Canal System (formerly known as the New York State Barge Canal). Originally, it ran about 363 miles (584 km) from Albany, on the Hudson River to Buffalo, at Lake Erie. It was built to create a navigable water route from New York City and the Atlantic Ocean to the Great Lakes. First proposed in 1807, its construction began in 1817. The canal has 36 locks and an elevation differential of about 565 feet (172 m). It opened on October 26, 1825.[1]

With the platform for the forum having just changed we will all have to learn what size to make our images. I posted one image which was very small, but when I checked the dimensions of a larger one I found it smaller than mine!! If you click on the small images they open in a separate window at a more viewable size.
We may have to wait until the migration to the new platform is complete, as Barbara has asked.

Here is a Monochrome treatment of a photograph of the Crinan Canal, on the west coast of Scotland.
This image was resized to 1200x1600 pixels.

[attachment=6435]
Fuji FinePix S9500, Auto mode, 1/90 sec, f3.6, ISO 200, converted using Silver Efex 2.

This appears to be the default size of all my images, irrespective of what size I make them.  A trifle on the small size. When I open it in a new window it is a good size but jammed to the LH side. Preferred the old photo format.

(Jun 26, 2016, 08:04)Jocko Wrote:  With the platform for the forum having just changed we will all have to learn what size to make our images. I posted one image which was very small, but when I checked the dimensions of a larger one I found it smaller than mine!! If you click on the small images they open in a separate window at a more viewable size.
We may have to wait until the migration to the new platform is complete, as Barbara has asked.
Yes John. The site seems to be chaotic at present - just look at my images in Post #1 compared with those of delboy in Post #10!  Confused

Hopefully they'll get it sorted out to a common standard display size in the near future.  Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Yes. We will just have to give them a chance to get it set up. No use the way it is at present.  Confused