Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portrait...

Not really a portrait - just a snap taken last night. But I'm pleased that even my snaps these day are taken with a bit of thought to composition / setting / telling a story and so on. Had I really been thinking about this as a portrait I'd have removed the distraction on the left hand side of the table, but that aside I'm pleased with this as a character study / snap shot of a mate.

Camera was the little carry-round micro four thirds GM1. I used f/22 to get the depth of field from the tins in the foreground right through to the guitar in the shed at the back. It was evening, and darker than the image suggest so I'm at ISO 2500 . 17mm (35mm in real money) and, again because of the darkness I have a real slow shutter speed of 1/15th - hand held.

On reflection I should have come back a couple of f-stops and upped the speed - but in the dark the settings are pretty impossible to see (and adjust!) on this little camera so I grabbed the moment whilst I could.

I welcome your critiques.

[Image: 27892393383_8c29c2bf7b_z.jpg]

Tough Night Ahead

Good effort, well spotted. Blurring the background would help. Ed.

To each his own!

I think this could be referred to as a 'reportage portrait', and a jolly good one as well. Whoever this bloke is, he's going to have a hell of a headache tomorrow morning. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

Thats not bad for a hand held photo at that shutter speed and noise is pretty good at such a high ISO.
You could have bought the shutter speed up to reduce the background and still preserve the depth of focus, i dont know what your using for post processing but I would darken it slightly and burn in around yor subject to make it more dramatic.
but the main thing I would change are your drinks and get Adnams bitter, but other than those tweeks  pretty good effort !

(Jul 24, 2016, 07:25)delb0y Wrote:  Not really a portrait - just a snap taken last night. But I'm pleased that even my snaps these day are taken with a bit of thought to composition / setting / telling a story and so on. Had I really been thinking about this as a portrait I'd have removed the distraction on the left hand side of the table, but that aside I'm pleased with this as a character study / snap shot of a mate.

Camera was the little carry-round micro four thirds GM1. I used f/22 to get the depth of field from the tins in the foreground right through to the guitar in the shed at the back. It was evening, and darker than the image suggest so I'm at ISO 2500 . 17mm (35mm in real money) and, again because of the darkness I have a real slow shutter speed of 1/15th - hand held.

On reflection I should have come back a couple of f-stops and upped the speed - but in the dark the settings are pretty impossible to see (and adjust!) on this little camera so I grabbed the moment whilst I could.

I welcome your critiques.

[Image: 27892393383_8c29c2bf7b_z.jpg]

Tough Night Ahead

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Feb 4, 2021, 12:19
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 21:23
Last Post by delb0y
Nov 14, 2016, 05:56