Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Waterfront Harbour

Hi all.
This was taken last week with my canon 600d. f/8, 1/60sec. ISO 100, 18mm focal length. I liked the reflections on a smooth water, the sun shining on the buildings as it was going down - a calm and serene evening. Comments good or bad welcome. I have taken out a couple of unwanted birds with paintshop pro.
Jane

Nice image. It is not very sharp but that may be down to the small size uploaded here. Even that can be sharpened, though it wasn't such a great improvement so I didn't bother posting it.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Nice reflections Jane.A bit of help from Photoshop? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

This only my opinion I like the concept but I might have tried a couple of different techniques to attempt to enhance the image, one would be to bracket the shot to move more towards HDR, the next would probably be to add a 6 or 10 stop filter to get to long exposure and smooth out the clouds for different effect, the last being to wait until night fall and capture the scene during the blue hour for a very different image.

Cheers Pete

RAW to the core.

Thank you John, Ed and Pete for your comments. You have given me something to think about and to try out. Pete I have not gone down the HDR road as yet, but like your suggestions about stopping down.

Thanks Jane

I like the original - and reflections in the water are always a nice thing to photograph. If you can get chance to go back to the same place on another still day you could experiment further.

One thing I would try and do is get an angle (or a day) when the docked boats are a different colour to the background buildings or sky. On your shot here the two boats on the left are light coloured, almost the same colour as the buildings behind them, and thus they don't stand out very well. Same issue with the three on the right against the sky/water. Whereas the light coloured boat in the middle, against the yellow building does work - but it's so small and tucked away amongst all the other elements in the picture it still doesn't stand out.

You could lose a sliver of sky and water and still keep all the reflections intact, too. maybe by cropping in a little from the left.

But lovely photo nonetheless. Well done.

Derek

It is a nice reflections shot, Jane, and you already have several good suggestions above. Just concentrating on the posted image, there is a bit of perspective distortion making the buildings lean progressively more near the left side. If it were my image I would want to correct that, and also give the photo a bit more contrast and sharpness.

Cheers.
Philip

e.g. -

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Sep 26, 2016, 18:46
Last Post by Freeman
Mar 17, 2016, 16:17