Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Inner Space Meets Outer Space

Hello,

When I last visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Califronia, my primary interest was jellyfish. I wanted to create the effect of an image you might see in astrophotography similar to photographs of deep space nebulae, for example. I waited for this jellyfish to move into good light. 

By using a relatively fast shutter speed of 1/500 and "negative" exposure compensation, the jellyfish remained well-lit while the area surrounding the jellyfish darkened. The particles floating within the tank took on the appearance of "stars" and the lovely patch of blue is due to the color of a wall within the display. 

Tony

[Image: innerouterspacetonybritton2016%20A-XL.jpg]

"My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"

Great work, Tony!

Definitely worked. Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 3, 2016, 06:49)delb0y Wrote:  Great work, Tony!
Thanks. It was a fun project!

Tony

"My wife & I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"

(Sep 3, 2016, 07:37)EdMak Wrote:  Definitely worked.  Ed.
Thanks. I did my best to combine my love of astronomy & nature photography!

Tony

Love this.

Works for me, Tony. Bravo!

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

The jelly looks like a starship.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by cuilin
Jul 14, 2015, 19:47
Last Post by NT73
Aug 12, 2009, 09:36