Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sunset Rock

[attachment=6757]Give me your take on this shot,

(Nov 9, 2016, 06:45)WesMal Wrote:  Give me your take on this shot,

Hi Wes.

The sky is great, and the composition in the top half of the picture is very good - leading the eye nicely to the house. The bottom half feels a little redundant to me - not much happening there. Also the colours feel a little flat - which adds to that redundancy in the lower half.

One idea could be to crop it, increase the contrast, and open up the shadows a little to get more texture in the rocks. With the original RAW you could probably get some more greens textures in the trees too.

My take would be along these lines, but obviously you'll have to forgive the quality:

(Nov 9, 2016, 07:14)delb0y Wrote:  

Hi Wes.

The sky is great, and the composition in the top half of the picture is very good - leading the eye nicely to the house. The bottom half feels a little redundant to me - not much happening there. Also the colours feel a little flat - which adds to that redundancy in the lower half.

One idea could be to crop it, increase the contrast, and open up the shadows a little to get more texture in the rocks. With the original RAW you could probably get some more greens  textures in the trees too.

My take would be along these lines, but obviously you'll have to forgive the quality:

The image look great,my photoshop stopped working ,so i can't do any raw processing...thanks...Wes

Hi Wes,
Good to see you back on site.
On my screen the shot appears to have a fair amount of haze. This reduces the detail and tends to increase the mid-tones (  shadows ). This is my effort which uses the Windows Photo app in Windows 10. Not easy to do with a size of approx. 90kbs.

[attachment=6762]

Looking forward to more of your shots.
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

"Please" would have been nice. Sad

As others have commented, the sky is wonderfully colourful and dramatic, but the rest is rather dark and uninteresting as presented here. However, I like the foreground rocks and trees around the bays, so I would attempt to lift some of the detail there out of the gloom. One important edit for me would be to straighten the image - to ensure that the building is not falling over the cliff and to level the sea.

Cheers.
Philip

I would pretty much echo Derek's comments and add in Philip's comment on the horizon, id does feel like the image is sloping to the left a little. Wonderful sky.

Thanks all for your comments...Wes

Bit late, bit behind, this as I see it, cheers Ed.

To each his own!

Apologies for the following being off-topic, Wes, but your thread illustrates a forum puzzle:

Mike, I notice that in the replies from the rest of us our image appears only as an added attachment at the end of our text, whereas your version of the image is set within your text. The forum upload software doesn't appear to allow me to do that, so how are you achieving it?

Cheers.
Philip

A guess! write, add attach, then write again? Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Dec 3, 2018, 22:00
Last Post by MrB
May 31, 2017, 14:45