Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Persistance Pays Off.

I had hoped to get a shot of the Super Moon on Monday evening but was blessed with solid cloud. Not even a glimmer !. This evening I had better fortune. The moon now near the 3/4 mark. Taken from the local supermarket car park.
FZ200, 1/125 @ f/4 ISO 200 108mm ( 600mm equivalent ).

[attachment=6769]

Processed in Lightroom CC.
Regards to all,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Hi Mike

Persistence does indeed pay-off. It was very cloudy where I was, too, and I had to wait - but eventually got a decent shot.

I made the same error as you, composition-wise, I included only the moon - so there is nothing to distinguish the super-moon from just the moon. In actual fact I suspect that the difference between the two is negligible and thus if one just wants a shot of the moon on its own one can wait for ideal conditions and then simply zoom in about 0.5 mm more and voila!

All of that aside, here the image looks very slightly over-sharpened - there's a blue halo that turns to white and then yellow around the edge of the moon. The craters show up well - I always think the moon is better when it's half in shadow and those craters get the full attention - but the whole think doesn't look quite sharp enough in camera, before pp-ing.

Regards
Derek

Hi Derek,,
Thanks for the comments.
I did look around for something to add a sense of scale but only had the option of floodlights. Bit like being in the middle of a desert on a carpark. Those with skill in photoshop could employ the other option : Take a shot of a building / tree and then a shot of the moon. Marry the two in layers and make the moon look enormous.
Sorry about the halo. I was working on two copies and now see that I have posted the wrong one. Never mind, you live and learn !.
You are right about shadow. It was Craig that put me on to later shots with his comments in an earlier post concerning 3/4 moon. Thanks Craig.
If any members have tips about moon shots, I'm all ears.
Regards to all,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

I tried to get some trees into my shots of the moon, but to get the necessary angle I had to have the camera about a foot off the ground and I gave up - I suddenly longed for a camera with a tilting screen!!

I prefer the moon at 3/4 to half anyway, get more crator detail that way.

With my 500 I could get the moon in focus, or the tree in focus. Focussed on either one, the other item was a blury blob. I took both but haven't gotten around to creating a composite yet.