Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

After the storm

[attachment=6770]Took this shot after a winter storm,at noon the tide was low with some boats aground on a Bermuda beach.Give me your take on this...Wes

Wes this is a big improvement all round, on your last post.

This is just a different approach to it. Ed.

To each his own!

(Nov 18, 2016, 08:38)WesMal Wrote:  Give me your take on this...Wes

"Please" would have been nice. Sad

Not being there, I have no idea how the scene really looked, so have to study the clues in the image. The one that seems obvious to me is the contrast around the foreground boats - the bright highlights and deep shadows indicating that the scene was lit by bright noon sunlight. Therefore the rest of the image appears to be a contradiction, as it looks dull, flat and lifeless, with the blue cast not helping.

If it were mine, I would try to lift the image out of the gloom and give it a more 3D feel, gently warming the tones and being selective with step-by-step subtle adjustments to colour, brightness, contrast and sharpness, until it suits my taste.

Cheers.
Philip

Okay, I'm going to be a little harsh - so I apologise in advance. But, given the title, I don't see any aftermath of storm here. It might be that the storm pushed the boats up out of the water, but equally that could just be the tide going out. I was expecting drama and damage and wreckage.

If you were to change the title, and thus expectations, then I think people would come to the picture with a different mindset.

Looking at with that different mindset it still feels a little bland to me. Don't get me wrong, it's well exposed and sharp and the colours are nice - it's a well taken photograph. But compositionally and subject matterwise I struggle. There's no main point of compositional focus, no one boat that you're really showing us. The main boat in the foreground loses impact because there's another white boat right behind it, and another behind that. The one on the left suffers from the same problem.

Now there is a great picture to be had here (or there was). Having said I don't see any aftermath of storm, that boat way over in the background looks half sunk. There's the picture. That's what I want to see more of. I reckon if you'd have wandered round the bay and found a spot where you could get just that half sunken boat you'd have been on to something.

The little blue and yellow one may have been a second option - that looks a little sunken. Maybe that one is half-full of water causing it to list? Looking at that and at the bay I reckon you could have rolled up your trousers and waded out and got a decent shot of that.

So, overall quality-wise very good, but I think given that you're in such a lovely location, it'll be well worth taking more time to look for the best composition.

Regards
Derek

The assumption that I made was that the intention of the image was to show the pleasant tranquil sunny day following the turmoil of the nasty stormy weather, but I also agree with your interesting compositional points, Derek - there are/were several different possibilities there.

Cheers.
Philip

Absolutely, Philip.

My view is just one view (and an inexperienced one at that) - but as it's in the critique section I thought I'd say what I thought.

Wes, why not give us your view on it? Was the intent the tranquillity post-storm; the damaged boats; or something else?

Regards
Derek

It was a mild winter storm ,more rain than wind about 40 mph that's all.The day was overcast very cloudy,with some sun peeking through.Thanks Wes...

I see three boats that are either sunk or sinking so I do see the after math. I think a slightly different angle would help move the focus to one of these boats that are showing pobvious distress.

Nicely done though, love the colour and contrast of the original.

(Nov 19, 2016, 12:38)EnglishBob Wrote:  I see three boats that are either sunk or sinking so I do see the after math.  I think a slightly different angle would help move the focus to one of these boats that are showing pobvious distress.

Nicely done though, love the colour and contrast of the original.

Thanks for your comments...Wes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesMal
Nov 21, 2016, 14:43