Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Racetrack Playa

I've always been a book reader, just about anything. When I was around 12 I got a book for Christmas, Arthur C Clarke's Mysterious World. It had information on all sorts of things around the world, including a mysterious place in far off Death Valley, a place where rocks moved by themselves. The story fascinated me, and yesterday, on my 4th visit to Death Valley I decided to drive the 54 mile round trip on what is called an unpaved road and is better described as a collection of rocks and holes designed to smash out your fillings. The destination was The Racetrack, the site of the rocks that move by themselves.

The drive took about 2 hours for each of the 27 miles and my poor car, with it's 8" inches of ground clearance took a knock or two grounding itself. Other than 1 other Honda, everything else we saw was a "proper" 4wd with larger tires and higher ground clearance.

We got out to the Playa, where the temperature was just above freezing (hottest place on earth you say....). Shot a few pictures for maybe 20 minutes, climbed back in the car and bounced our way back to civilization, just making it back to paved roads as darkness fell.

I was accompanied on this 5 hour jaunt by my Wife, who never discourages me from doing stupid stuff! We should have started earlier, and done it on a day where we weren't driving over 400 miles home. By the time we were back on paved roads it was dark, and we had just over 400 miles left to get home through twisty mountains (I could have gone the longer but easier way but where's the fun in that!) Eventually got home a little before 1 AM, just enough time for a few hours sleep before we had to be up for work today.

This is destination two crossed off my childhood bucket list, the first was Monument Valley.

Canon 5DIII, ISO 100, F/6.3, 42mm, 1/1250s
[Image: 31111240653_2bfacd23ba_b.jpg]

Canon 5DIII, ISO 100, F/6.3, 42mm, 1/800s
[Image: 31080394024_edc1ebc00f_b.jpg]

Great story and fascinating shots, Craig. The central lead line and tesseraic surface add to the desolation of the scene. Near to freezing but still manages to look hot. Am I right in thinking that the lines are the route taken by the rocks as they move across the surface ?.
Regards, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Yes, they move when the right combination of recent rain, freezing temps and high wind occur.

Wonderful story. Great to cross something off your bucket list (I don't have a list, but I ought to start thinking about one!). And smashing photos!

I'm a reader, too. There are fewer and fewer of us...

The biggest problem for me is I don't like ebooks, don't feel comfortable reading on a tablet and if I am at the computer I am usually doing something else so I am still firmly planted in the paper book realm. Maybe I am just a little bit of a luddite, as I still buy CD's, even though i then rip them to mp3 and put them on my phone LOL.

Sounds like we're similar, Bob. I have a first generation Kindle but it's rare that I buy a book for it. I still prefer paper books, too. Had a couple for Christmas. Same with CDs. The kids tell me I'm two generations out of date - they gave up CDs and moved to buying and downloading MP3s, but now they've given up on that and just stream stuff as and when they want to listen to it.

Sometimes I still play vinyl at home, it sounds 'warmer', especially through a decent 'valve' (tube) amplifier.

Great photographs Craig, good perspective, well thought through.

Regards.

Phil.

Thank You Phil, I sure got a few odd looks laying on my belly in the dust to get the 2nd one, wanted the lower perspective.

(Jan 4, 2017, 21:55)EnglishBob Wrote:  Thank You Phil, I sure got a few odd looks laying on my belly in the dust to get the 2nd one, wanted the lower perspective.

It was all well worth the effort though Craig. Including the mileage incurred in getting there and back.

Regards.

Phil.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post