Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Computer Rebuild - SSD's are fast!

So I have been running short on space on my Desktop, was down to less than 50GB on main C drive and storage was getting down there too. So on Friday night I embarked on an upgrade.

I replaced my main drive and downsized it from 700GB to 480GB, but with a much faster Solid State Drive. I achieved the downsize by removing all images, music files and the My Documents folder to a secondary storage drive.

I then added two 2 Terrabyte storage drives, so with almost 4.5 TB of space I should be set for a while.

Rather than re-installing windows and all my programs, I cloned the C drive to the SSD, took a bit of finagling but once it was sorted it saved a lot of time and the difference in performance the SSD gives on boot up and running lightroom and Photoshop is staggering.

My Drives are so empty now I hear new images echo as they hit the drive! Big Grin

After running this for a few days I have to say anyone considering moving to an SSD array for photoshop/lightroom the difference in program opening, processing and applying filters etc is staggering.

The images are stored on a conventional platter HDD, but just having windows and photoshop on the SSD makes an incredible difference.

(Feb 15, 2017, 09:45)EnglishBob Wrote:  After running this for a few days I have to say anyone considering moving to an SSD array for photoshop/lightroom the difference in program opening, processing and applying filters etc is staggering.

The images are stored on a conventional platter HDD, but just having windows and photoshop on the SSD makes an incredible difference.
Hi Bob,

I have 2-Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive , Read 560MB/s, Write 515MB/s  running in Raid (0).

Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading Unlocked LGA2011 Processor 

Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD32GX3M4A2400C10  32GB (4X8GB) DDR3-2400 CL10 Ram

I could push the processor to 4.5 GHZ if I wanted to.

Can't get much faster than that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Jun 15, 2011, 00:28
Last Post by nia
Feb 11, 2010, 04:25
Last Post by shuttertalk
Sep 19, 2004, 23:41