Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A winter walk

[Image: winterwalk.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

It might be a bit tight on the left for me. Not saying I would like the people centred, but an extra half inch might do it.

Nice detail Irma. I quite like this shot as well!

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

For me, I think there's not enough separation (colour or otherwise) between the foreground subjects (the three figures walking) and the background, which leads to a distracting shot.

@Jerry: You are right... I went too much to the left with the crop Smile I will do it again.

@ST: You are right, I took the picture because of the girls with colorful jackest and now I am just watching the tree... Isn't it beautiful? (the tree) Smile ... but you are right it is not my subject. I will work with the colors today and crop the tree... probably I will get that separation you mention...

Thanks a lot! Smile

Paul Cezanne

Another option would be to crop even tighter... fill the frame with the people - I find the red house to be more distracting than anything else...

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Thanks Cailean...

Well, I work on this in the morning... I lowered the red color in the house and cropped the tree... I will give it a try to your advice... I didn't think about it before ...

Thanks! Smile

[Image: winterwalk1mrg.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

I really like this picture, especially since you did the adjustments.

It could be a good image for experimenting with selective toning too - making the background B/W but keeping the people, or at least some of the clothing, in colour.

I won't play around with your picture then reupload it - but here's an example from one of my own images. It's a Victorian postbox and I left the box in colour but coverted the background to B/W . then finished off with a diffuse glow to make it more frosty/wintery looking. That's the gist of what I did - sorry I can't remember the exact settings I used.

[Image: postbox.jpg]

Polly

Thanks Polly your picture is lovely Smile...

A really nice idea... I was working just now with B&W I looks very nice but I was not sure...

Polly, The thing is that I saw those Ladies in the way and let me tell you that I didn't dare to take a picture infront of them... I had my camera hanging from my neck so I just turned it a little up and I shot three times with the hope I got them right..... When I saw that I got a beautiful blue sky instead, I turned and took the picture again... It has a story and well, it deserves the best from me!

I also love the clothes of the girl at the left... I think this fashion is worn by happy people... I will try tomorrow in the morning, the best part of the day: morning coffee, biscuits... Smile

Thanks for your advice Polly

Paul Cezanne

Irma Wrote:Thanks Polly your picture is lovely Smile...

A really nice idea... I was working just now with B&W I looks very nice but I was not sure...

Polly, The thing is that I saw those Ladies in the way and let me tell you that I didn't dare to take a picture infront of them... I had my camera hanging from my neck so I just turned it a little up and I shot three times with the hope I got them right..... When I saw that I got a beautiful blue sky instead, I turned and took the picture again... It has a story and well, it deserves the best from me!

I also love the clothes of the girl at the left... I think this fashion is worn by happy people... I will try tomorrow in the morning, the best part of the day: morning coffee, biscuits... Smile

Thanks for your advice Polly

I get a lot of pictures of the sky too - also a lot of pix with a 'downhill' sea with headless and/or legless people walking at peculiar angles along the downhill promenade which is parallel to the severely downhill sea Big Grin

Have a look at "Project Hipshot" on THIS WEBSITE and also have a look at the "techniques" link from the homepage where he gives some tips about getting street shots. The entire website is excellent in fact - well worth a browse.

Polly

Very interesting Polly. I haven't seen all, but what I have seen is really interesting...

Thanks.

Paul Cezanne

Thanks for the site, Polly!

Interesting...

Quote:Street photography is one of the most personally challenging forms of photography. Unless you want to use hidden cameras, or shoot from the hip, thus sacrificing your control over the frame, you must overcome your natural inhibition about taking photographs of strangers without asking their permission.

These days its getting harder (was it ever easy in the first place) to take photos of strangers in public... you could easily end up with a lawsuit on your hands.. Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Thanks for the site, Polly!

Interesting...

Quote:Street photography is one of the most personally challenging forms of photography. Unless you want to use hidden cameras, or shoot from the hip, thus sacrificing your control over the frame, you must overcome your natural inhibition about taking photographs of strangers without asking their permission.

These days its getting harder (was it ever easy in the first place) to take photos of strangers in public... you could easily end up with a lawsuit on your hands.. Big Grin

I must admit I wouldn't have the confidence to grab a shot of anyone, face-to-face, in a quiet place where there were only a few people there - such as the situation where Irma took the 'winter walk' picci. I'd have grabbed a rear view, as she did .... and very effective it is too imho Smile

There's a mailing list for street photographers and I gather there are about 500 active members at the moment. Here's the link for their gallery. I'm not a member myself - I wouldn't have the confidence. Besides, I'm not specifically a street photographer, though I like to have a go at it if/when I get the opportunity.

Polly

hi everyone

just a quick comment, what i think the problem is that the all picture is much like duotone and the you have those 2 windows, just on a centre of rules of 3rd.

this is what i think

Regards

Christian

[Image: 52_winterwalk.jpg]

Hi Christian,

You are totally right... those windows are really standing out... Why I didn't see them before!!! without them the picture changes very much... I will try it...

Thanks a lot for your advice Smile

Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jul 5, 2018, 13:42
Last Post by MrB
Oct 20, 2017, 00:03