Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What did I do wrong?

I thought this pic shoud've worked. Wink
It didnt. :o

Opinions on why, please! :/

[Image: 31_benches.jpg]

Cave canem

Lack of an obvious subject, for starters. The "leading lines" lead one to the sign that is hiding behind the little entry way. Probably not what you intended.

Harsh lighting too. Generally speaking, the eyes are naturally attracted to the brightest part of the image, especially if it is in the center or at the intersection of thirds. In this case, the blown highlight on the wall grabs too much attention.

I think it could have worked if the pattern of the repeating bench legs had been captured in more of an abstract way, perhaps also if shot horizontally. The architecture here doesn't hold much interest for me.

Or, to put it another way,

"It's a pile o' poo! Big Grin

Cave canem

I agree with slejhamer. for me the benches led me to a buch of empty space. If you crop out the dead space on the right side of the photo it helps. The lighting is a bummers too.

here is the crop I did.

[Image: 90_31_benches.jpg]

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Ya! Everything Mitch said. I agree. Big Grin

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hi Rufus,
I know this is not fix me up forum but I wanted to give another option to this picture.

Here I considered part of the building, and removed distractors so you have the benches in a context.

[Image: 92_31_benches.jpg]

Here I considered just the line of benches and colorized to disguise the shadows and the bright wall. I think that if your intention was just to picture the line of benches this option fits better. Also the benches are not symmetrically placed and very much decorated what I think makes more difficult to get a propper angle.

[Image: 31_benchesbw.jpg]

I hope it is useful Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

hi

some advise

Try diferent time of the day, and maybe some direct composition.

Regards

Christian

You should have moved more to left. Also I feel this photo would work better if it was horizontal and not vertical as there's too much space. The sign should be hidden somewhere.

I think slejhamer nailed it Smile.
It definetly lacks a subject and there's nothing you can do in post processing to fix that. I wouldn't consider it a keeper.

It needs some zip, even an HDR treatment or tone matching could pick it up.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Or a clear identifiable subject. Also, why are we posting in 7 year old threads again? Big Grin

I was going to say lighting and the thing at the end of the benches. I can't tell what it is.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Dec 9, 2013, 07:56