Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nostalgia

Thanks for your comments?

[Image: nostalgia1.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I could not have thought of a better title. Really nicely done Irma. No critique, just kudos.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Quite.

Very good indeed! Smile

Cave canem

Very nice! You've done well!

Not sure if you intended it, but the photo in the background adds to the effect. Big Grin

Wonderful. Love it.

Thanks for your comments. I am very happy you find this picture nice...

About the photo, yes, it was meant to be part of the picture to add information about the letter. The color version is also very nice, but I think the sepia tone add even more nostalgia... Smile

Paul Cezanne

g'day Irma,

Well done I think it speaks volumes.....the blurred picture in the back ground is just enough of a hint to get you thinking what the letter is about!

Sensational Irma,

The layout of the letter and flowers on the table with the light as it is is simply wonderful, but the thing I like most about it is the way the light shines through the letter clearly showing it is hand-written in an old-fashioned script. Still, the text is unreadable enough so it does not entice the viewer to try to read it, leaving their imagination to fill in what it might say. A genius approach. Smile

The DOF is also great, and the photo in the background is a great idea to hint to the viewer who the letter is from (or to).
The only improvements I can think of are regarding that photo in the background. I think it is perhaps a little too obviously placed. If there were a couple of other objects in the background with it, then it might break things up a little and still be obvious but not look deliberate. Perhaps if the photo was sitting on a bookshelf and there were a small pile of books or bowl of fruit nearby or something like that? Perhaps move it a bit further out of the frame, so one edge of it is slightly cropped - then it won't look like it is deliberately placed.
Also, I think a more traditional portrait would help evoke a feeling of nostalgia. I'm sure the image you chose in the background has a lot of sentimental value to you, but it is clearly an informal, contemporary photograph. I think this style of photo detracts a little bit from the old-fashioned look you seem to be going for.
It doesn't need to be an old photo, but a traditional, formal portrait could really make a difference I think. But, if that partrait has particular meaning to you, then by all means leave it in. It only has to make you happy.
Other ways you might make it look even more "nostalgic" could be to add some grain or texture to it (although I love the silky smooth feel to the paper and petals), and also possibly to add a subtle bit of vignetting (perhaps softening the focus as well as darkening a bit in the corners).

All these suggestions are just IMHO, and I'm really nit-picking. This is the critique section, so I am trying to find the photos weakest areas and suggest possible ways to work on them, even thought it really is a great photo to begin with.

That foreground... fab-u-lous.. Smile Smile Smile

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Russt: Thanks for your comment! I'm happy you like it. Smile

Adrian: Yes, you found weak areas in the photo, and I like very much that you express your thoughts. Also that you give me advice and options, that is great. About the portrait and frame, it was the only thing available at the moment. A very good point in your critique. To play with the mood of the bedside table was missing, you are right.
I am already thinking about another picture of this kind. I will take into consideration your advice.Thanks a lot!!! Smile

Irma.

Paul Cezanne