Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Marco Imagery

Some time ago Old mate Julian gave me some tips on macro photography and lighting, and today I needed to take some photos for a mate, and I used the tips and am happy with the way they came out. The image is a little fuzzy because it is on Jpeg compresion 40% to make it fit into my limited webspace. The foam it was sitting on is off-white coloured, and the lighting used was an Above (about 30cm) 2ft long Fluroescent light tube and my cameras onboard flash. Any tipsa to further imporve my photography?

[Image: ram-comparison.jpg]

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

That looks good. The lighting is fine for this shot, but ideally you'd diffuse it more. A light dome would give you more pleasant results.

One more tip: when shooting macros at an angle as you have apparently done here, DOF plays a bigger role. You may have already been maxed out, but the lower 1/3rd is definitely softer than the middle. The important thing for this type of comparison shot is to get everything as sharp as possible. A different shooting angle (straight down, for example) might help.