Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Music We Listen To?

Do you guys think that as Christians it is wrong to listen to 'secular' styles of music such as rock, hip hop, rap, rnb (just to name a few)?

Some Christian see nothing wrong with it while others say that it is wrong to listen to it.

A while back our family went to this Bill Gothard seminar and he talked about how heavy basslines and the repetitive bass drum patterns are as he put it 'satanic.'

So what do you Christian Shuttertalkers think?

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I agree certain musical compositions are more disposed to evoking certain emotions (eg. major chords are brighter and more cheerful than minor chords) and certain drum beats can have a very sensual rhythm to them.

I don't agree that all hip hop or dance music is of the devil. True, a lot of the R&B/hip-hop music out there is sexual and rebellious, but as with all things, it comes back to the heart of the artist.

I think everyone responds differently to music, which is why there is such a variety of it out there. If we generalise and say hip hop or R&B or rock or whatever is satanic, then we're going back to the dark ages when the church used to say music was of the devil.

Well that's my 2 cents worth - whaddya reckon shuttertalkers?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

May I offer this link:

http://www.robibrad.demon.co.uk/Conscience.htm

HTH

Cave canem

I usually listen to music coz it sounds good to me... i think it's true though, you should watch (err heheh) what you listen to, in the same way we should be careful what we watch on tv. Smile

I tend to listen only to praise and worship so, yeah...

I think music represents emotion. Emotions can be positive or negative. How a piece of music affects your emotions determines whether or not it 'right' or 'wrong'. Music that makes you angry and full of hate, for example, is not a good choice. But music, Christian or not, that brings out positive emotions and spiritual fulfillment IS a good thing. Probably the best universal example is the Beatles. Not a 'Christian' group by any means but one whose music spiritually uplifts people all over the world.

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

Hey, I've never thought of it in that way... hm... sounds pretty good!

Yeah, I actually don't like alot of 'Christian' music (besides hymns and praise songs) because those bands always sound like they're trying too hard to be Christian... y'know?

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

YES!

I agree. Lots of Christian bands are either manufactured pap, or OTT goody virgins, (I mean, lacking experience of material reality).

I enjoy Waterdeep. Especially their album "Sink or swim", now that is real life, "been through the mill", music for thinking Christians. Yas!

I still listen to Yes, and various other prog-rock bands from the 1970's, but I've dumped 90% of the music I used to like.

Cave canem

There are popular secular songs out there that are really good and promote positive messages. I recently heard 'Amazing' by George Michael... nice rhythm, simple wholesome lyrics. The artist is not one I'd call a role model though. I think that we need to take into account the whole deal when listening to a song... the message, the artist, and the style of music. The first two are pretty clear cut -- they should live and 'preach' Godly values. The third one, style, is subjective as it affects anyone differently. Alternative music may evoke both anger and hate to some but may simply be the voice of one shouting about/for love, acceptance and hope.

Christian music itself has evolved in the past 10+ years to something that's beyond hymns and church choir music. Lots of Christian artists have crossed over to pop, rock, r 'n b, dance, alternative, heavy metal and hip-hop. It has been a very effective way of spreading the good news to non-Christians. These artists have been the 'lambs among wolves' (as Bob Briner has put it)... Christians who are trying to excel in their field in the secular world to spread God's Word.

I tend to listen to different types of music by Christian artists such as Hillsongs, Don Moen, Audio Adrenaline, P.O.D., and Steven Curtis Chapman although I would at times listen to songs by non-Christian artists as well.

Guys, I love Avalon, Jody McBrayer and Anointed.

Listening to their music definitely puts me in tune with God, especially Avalon songs such as:
- He's Everything to Me
- Adonai
- their rendition of "My Jesus I love Thee"

Go Jody!!! Big Grin

Mr.Gadget Australia
www.mrgadget.com.au
Home of quality PC Gadget and Memory Cards!

how about U2?

Listening to United Live and Planetshakers at the moment... they're awesome! Really gets me fired up -- I want to play those songs at church! Big Grin

Yes, we feel the same when we listen to some of their songs. However, the reality of how unskilled and how under-resourced we are sets in rather quickly after you play a few chords... bleh Sad

Hehehe... they should release an 'unplugged' album...

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Quote:However, the reality of how unskilled
I can definitely relate to that Big Grin

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I've recently been sucked into Switchfoot and Third Day... I found a good list of some other Christian bands im gonna check out on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/lis...01-3645629

Does no one listen to Waterdeep????????

Cave canem

I have not heard anything from Waterdeep.
Is there any free-samples I can download from the internet, or must I go buy the cd?

Erm, No and no.

I dont think that there are any samples, and I dont think you will easily find an album. If you do though, I thoroughly recommend "Sink or swim." Marvellous! Smile

Cave canem

Greetings all!

I'm new here and had to jump in on this.

There is much to be learned from the lives of those who are imperfect. Many of the people represented in scripture did not live the lives of perfect role models, yet we can still be inspired by their history.

I have no objection to 'secular' music per se, and judge it on a case by case basis. I still listen to a lot of it. I don't think that as Christians we are called to be emotionally bland, and music with emotional pull is not in any way a bad thing.

As for Christian-specific music, I listen to Michael Card, Rich Mullins, Wes King, some old Petra with lovely memories attached, and a lot of other stuff. :-D

KJ

Hi Moreta...

Greeting and welcome to Shuttertalk! Do make yourself at home here.. everyone's pretty friendly. Big Grin

Moreta Wrote:I have no objection to 'secular' music per se, and judge it on a case by case basis. I still listen to a lot of it. I don't think that as Christians we are called to be emotionally bland, and music with emotional pull is not in any way a bad thing.

I guess it depends which way the music pulls you... but as you say, it's on a case by case basis.

I wonder what people think of Australian/American Idol? Big Grin

Moreta, greetings!!!

Big Grin

Cave canem

Thanks guys. Big Grin

Hey Rufus I listen to waterdeep. Have you ever listen to any of enter the worship circle series they do a lot of the songs on it.

de_axeman don’t doubt the talent of your musicions. Most of hillsongs stuff is not that hard. Someone just needs to organize it.

I happen to be blessed to go to a church that plays Hillsongs and Planet Shakers. My youth pastor loves Hillsongs and United Live.

I love to listen to Praise and Worship, but I listen to bands such as Blindside, East West, Switchfoot, POD, and stavesacer.

A coulpe of good web sites for Christian Music
http://www.goldusa.com/ Good Praise and worship Site
http://www.grassrootsmusic.com/ Good all around site good place to find independent artist and not so popular stuff too.

Secular vs. sacred
You are what you put in you. Secular music will not build you up and help your walk with God such as Hillsongs.
Also look at it like this Satan was the angle in charge of worship. He will do anything he can to pervert that which was meant for God. Satan wants to steal God’s praise from our mouth. We also need to be reminded in a since that the spirit realm is more of a reality then the natural. God lives in the spirit realm.
I honestly don’t believe that God cares about style. Style does not make it secular. Not being sung for God makes it secular.

Teddy

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Wow, Teddy! You listen to my kind of music! (Hillsong, United Live, Planet Shakers)

dou you listen to jason upton? He has some incredible stuff. Faith is still his best cd.

Nikon d70
Nikkor 18-70mm 1:3.5-4.5g ED
Nikkor 70-210 1:4-5.6 d

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Jul 26, 2009, 04:10
Last Post by nia
Jul 3, 2009, 04:28