Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

More Fogo Island Fisheye Landscapes!

I suppose it is no secret that the Samyang 8mm f/3.5 fisheye is currently my favourite lens for my Fogo Island landscapes! Here are some more un-fishy fisheye captures, taken over the past two days near my house in Island Harbour. (none have been defished)

The icebergs have finally arrived! They are normally around in June and July, but they just started showing up in the past couple of days. I will post some next time.

(these were all taken with my Sony A550)

Glen
http://www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

[Image: DSC00767a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00701a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00839a900pix.jpg]

[Image: DSC00707a900pix.jpg]

Classic.
Smile

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Glen, I really like these images. You are using the lens in a truly masterful manner.By coincidence, I ordered a Samyang 8mm fisheye lens a few days ago. I'm looking forward to a great deal of fun.

Regards.....Dennis

You get really good clarity and colour. Is it the Lens or the PP? Or is it you. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:You get really good clarity and colour. Is it the Lens or the PP? Or is it you. Wink
I would say it is a combination of a great lens and our famous clean, clear Newfoundland air!

Thanks,
Glen

camperbc Wrote:
NT73 Wrote:You get really good clarity and colour. Is it the Lens or the PP? Or is it you. Wink
I would say it is a combination of a great lens and our famous clean, clear Newfoundland air!

Thanks,
Glen
Thanks for that. I wonder if Norway has similar air. Thinking of going cruising to see the northern lights.
Only thinking mind. A bit like window shopping. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

And I guess the saturation is helped by any tendency to underexposure with such a wide field in the meter..?...which I think is very nice; I remember Rufus getting similarly deep and rich tones by the same.
Interesting NT mentioning Norway...I couldn't help but be reminded of the West of Ireland...seals in July and whales but no icebergs.
And that thought too recalls my other thought, Glen, in your post: that of the icebergs sailing by considerably later in the season: may I ask, are there other evidences of "global warming" you have discerned on Fogo?

(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Hi Zig, sorry for the very late reply. I am not totally convinced that the late arrival of the icebergs this year is a direct result of global warming. So much depends on exactly when the glaciers have "broken off" of Greenland, the size of the chunks breaking off, the amount of calving of these bergs between there and here, the ever-changing North Atlantic currents, etc. The icebergs that we are currently seeing out our window broke off of the Petermann Glacier in Northwest Greenland in August 2010. It was a much larger piece than usual, but again, this is not really out of the ordinary in the grand scheme of things.

Throughout history, there have been years with very little berg activity, and other years where there could be literally thousands of them in our region. Anyway, in this case, it was an enormous chunk of glacier that broke off on August 5th, 2010, measuring an unbelievable 280 square kms in size. It kept breaking up over the next 14 months, as it worked its way south, and because of the currents, is just arriving now on the north coast of Newfoundland. So yes, it is late in the year for seeing the bergs, but there is no real evidence proving that the size or timing of this particular ice island is a result of global warming. It is the same with temperatures. Throughout time, there have been periods of many decades where temperatures were a few degrees above of below "normal", and long before the industrial revolution. But yes, this year's phenomenon COULD be directly or indirectly linked to global warming, or it could be that it was just an abnormally large chunk of ice that decided to break away from Greenland a little earlier or later than usual, which took a bit longer (or maybe quicker?) to make its way down to Fogo Island. Either way, it makes for a very beautiful view out our living room window. I can't recall if I have ever mentioned it on this forum, but around here, people will keep chunks from these icebergs in their freezers for mixing their drinks. It's quite a novelty to have 10,000 to 15,000-year-old ice cubes with your rye and Coke!

But to get back to your original question Zig, no, we do not see any other evidence of global warming here... and of course we are hoping that there is no real connection to this year's late bergs.

Glen

Thank you so much for all your detail here...you paint as good a picture in word as you do in image. A real education and metal transport for me. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post