Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gotcha!

This owl and it's family have been shouting and screaming all night for at least two weeks. Maybe it bumps into a wall now, blinded by the flash. Big Grin

[Image: 05_07_08_img_0763-01.jpg]

Edit: Here is the original size.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Fantastic shot of an incredible animal. Wow!. I'm surprised you posted a link to an original size. A shot like this I would never.
Also, as I viewed the original I noticed that the image has some weird aberration (if you can call it that) of some sort. Any idea's as to what caused this?
[Image: 83_100%-crop.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Not sure why I'm getting a red x. :/

My flickr images

The artefacts are probably from the noise removal. The picture had quite some noise, I had the ISO at 1600. I had planned to shoot in available light, only when the birds finally came out there was none available anymore. I only realized the flecks when I was finished with the postprocessing, I thought "what the heck" and posted it anyway. Tongue

Guerito this is a great capture........man hes has some attitude, I like it!!

Its funny to see this here this morning as last night there was a Tawny Frog Mouth owl in our backyard tree, I went back inside grabbed my camera only to find him gone on my return........bummer! If you dont mind what lens and flash combo did you use? how did you go about focus? did the flash sacre him off?

cheers

Also I must say, upon seeing the title, again I thought it was going to be a photo of lucky with a rodent or something. I may in fact be traumatized. :o

My flickr images

Russt Wrote:If you dont mind what lens and flash combo did you use? how did you go about focus? did the flash sacre him off?

cheers

The picture was taken with a Cannon EF 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS, at 400mm, f5.6, 1/125sec, ISO 1600, with the builtin flash of the 350D. It was sheer luck that I got him anyway, it was way too dark for the autofocus and I didn't see much either, had even problems finding the bird in the tree. I had several tries with manual focus, and this one only came out sharp.

The bird was modeling like a pro, not in the least impressed with what I was doing. He just sat there and stared at me. Distance was around 6m I guess.

They are amazing birds. There are three of them, a mother and her two kids, we believe. They live somewhere next door to us. They come out when it's dark and use the garden as a base camp for their hunting tours, before they go out to the meadows. They fly without making any sound, this is somewhat unreal to watch, it's like a muted TV.

Thanks for the comments! Smile

Thanks for the info G..........good job on the manual focus in low light! I am amazed that he just sat there when the flash went off........but maybe it couldn't see to fly away............. Big Grin Big Grin

guerito what an incredible photo,postcard material. The original sized one blew me away when it opened up,those big eyes staring at me. Well done. Wink