Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

waterfall sml

not being a PS wizard I was hoping someone might help out and show me what can be done!

original
[Image: glenrock%202.jpg]

this is my attempt
[Image: glenrock-2copy.jpg]

all I was trying for was a fix ...........but feel feel free to make any changes you like

thanks

I rather like your "fix."

yes - the tighter crop is better. Don't think this photo really needs much more improving...

This is where I differ. I think the original before crop is a much better comp. Whereas in the first shot you have one person sitting center to the image in #2 they both are. The waterfall in the 1st balances the photo.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I agree with Colin, the compo in the original is ok. Here is what I would do with this picture:

[Image: glenrock_02_c.jpg]

I darkened the upper part as I thought it is too light and somewhat distracting. I think the boys and the waterfall are now more prominent in the picture.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

thanks for your comments,

interseting to to hear others views.......I take all on board.

when ever I get home and load my pics to the pc I always would have done it different. For this shot the settings were.........
Tv( Shutter Speed )
Av( Aperture Value )
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
to do it again I think I would try to increase the ISO to 200 under the same light .
AV to F18
this to get the exposure right with a faster shutter.
because the water is over done and starting to blow out and try to get the boys sharper...........(hard to keep them still for long) Wink

What do you think? Is this the right school of thought?

I will be happy when I come home and say..............yes this one is right! Big Grin

Guerito.......thanks for your imput, I might try that with a bit of what I did.

Cheers

I definitely like Guerito's version, but perhaps the green bush could be cropped out, as Peto did. Other than that, I think it's perfect! Good composition, rule of thirds, nice capture of the waterfall and boys, what more could a photographer want? Big Grin Big Grin

Hmmm. I thought about what you said about the bush Jules. Cropping that area of the image changes the photo drastically as i stated in my first post but after reading your post I thought maybe the bush could be cloned out and the rock cloned in its place. As I envisioned it I realized the photo would be out of balance. Awww, maybe that's just nuts. :/

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

[Image: glenrock2.png]

Here's my take on it:
[Image: glenrock%202adj.jpg]
I did the following: duplicate layer & defog (USM 15-50-0); duplicate layer and burn corners and top (both shadows & midtones 5%), set blend to "darker color"; duplicate layer and apply high pass filter 0.5, set blend mode to "soft light" and transparency to 75%; create new layer select ellipse (50 pixel feather, start close to corner equal distance from diagonally opposite corner), invert selection & fill with black then reduce transparency to 15%.

I actually like the detail on the right and the forest behind. It gives context to the image so I did not crop it. The reverse elliptical shading tones down and darkens the periphery creating a very subtle spotlight effect to keep the eye in the center.

ADK Jim

Editing typo

(Jul 12, 2005, 18:31)Russt Wrote:  not being a PS wizard I was hoping someone might help out and show me what can be done!

original
[Image: glenrock%202.jpg]

this is my attempt
[Image: glenrock-2copy.jpg]

all I was trying for was a fix ...........but feel feel free to make any changes you like

thanks

here's my attempt...

first, i ran it through ReDynaMix to brighten the shadows a bit. then i opened it in camera raw and tweaked the saturation and vibrance, boosted the greens and yellows some, and applied a touch of sharpening... not a huge difference, but the result does have a bit more "pop"...

Attached Files Image(s)

~ Rocky
Any camera will record what you see, but YOU have to SEE!
Canon 5D & 40D; Canon 100-400L, Tamron SP17-35 and SP24-135
www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

It pops, but so much detail seems to be lost.
It looks great on an Ipod touch, but here on my big screen not so good at all.

It possibly would be better if you were working with the original rather than a web resized shot.

It's interesting seeing stuff from 5 years ago.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Feb 25, 2012, 06:26)NT73 Wrote:  It pops, but so much detail seems to be lost.
It looks great on an Ipod touch, but here on my big screen not so good at all.

It possibly would be better if you were working with the original rather than a web resized shot.

It's interesting seeing stuff from 5 years ago.

interesting... what kind of monitor are you using? on mine, i see no loss of detail at all. if anything, it's crisper and sharper than in the original...

~ Rocky

(Feb 25, 2012, 15:48)squirl033 Wrote:  interesting... what kind of monitor are you using? on mine, i see no loss of detail at all. if anything, it's crisper and sharper than in the original...

24" Apple iMac, and the size I see your pic is about 175mm x 120mm
It is sharper and more saturated yes, but the first ones appear to have more definition in the people , trees and water. I also see quite a bit of blue/green in the water.

I just tried auto levels/color/contrast, and a little blue in a selection of parts of the water. And a little bit of dodge, set at 3% in the darkest bits. But hey, monitors do vary as does our individual liking for certain shades, styles,etc. Undecided
This is from the first shot on this thread.

Attached Files Image(s)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

in comparing both the original and the edit on my color-calibrated CRT monitor, there's no loss of definition, though perhaps in the original the people show up a little better because the background is darker and softer. nothing i did would decrease the clarity of the people or the trees, but perhaps by bringing out the shadow details and boosting the saturation in the greens and yellows a bit, the background now seems clearer by comparison... don't know where the blue-green came from, it doesn't appear on my monitor. these show up as about 5"x8" on my monitor; perhaps part of the problem is you're seeing the images at a smaller size, i suspect if we were working with larger image files, things would look bit different. and LCD monitors - even the newer ones like the iMac - do not produce photo images as cleanly and smoothly as CRTs, so perhaps that's part of it too.

~ Rocky

Yes, a CRT probably is much better to view on. Sadly the physical size of a large CRT meant I had to go for a flat screen type. The the CRT went with the PC it came with and I got the Apple. My TV is a flat LCD too. Thats the modern way these days. Undecided

I have been led to believe that any editing on a photo will degrade the picture quality in some way from the original. And re-saving for Jpeg also degrades in some way.
Little induced artifacts and colour aberations all add up. Sad
But I can only say what I see. Other posters may perceive it differently. Big Grin

Congratulations on the win too. Big Grin Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

Wow this is my first time in this part of the forum... Here is my version Smile

BrandyMaeD
This thread was started in 2005. Angel

I guess you clicked somewhere on the bottom of the post.
Mind you there is some good stuff from way back. We had a larger core of members then, with some exceptional talents. I think they have all outgrown me. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

Big Grin I started reading this post and just noticed how old it was when I reached NT73's post. I was just about ready to congratulate bloodyrain on his editing.

Don't worry! you won't be the only one.

At the bottom of the posts are links to similar photos, (they are different for different posts) but some go back years.
There are some good shots there, although the original poster/s may have left for pastures new.

Lumix LX5.

LOL complete accident!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by gerainte
Feb 16, 2014, 13:10
Last Post by Pavel
Aug 6, 2008, 10:13