Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photography Business Website

Hi

I know there is magor room for improvment and I could have a wider range of my photos, Im working on this

For the general layout can you please let me know what you think

http://brettrobson.mysticktech.com/

Regards
Kerridwyn aka Brett Robson

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Kerridwyn's Photography Gallery

hi brett

uuhmmm first thing there nothing about you...

uuhmm not much there...

take care

christian

byrt_001 Wrote:hi brett

uuhmmm first thing there nothing about you...

uuhmm not much there...

take care

christian
Yes its work in progress

ABout me and My equipment will come later, I was looking more at the photography side

Canon EOS 350D Digital Camera , 2gig Scandisk Ultra II CF Card, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 Lens, EF 28mm f2.8 Lens Wide Angle, Macro 58mm Lens kit (1+ 2+ 4+ 10+), Hoya 58mm PL-CIR Polariser, Optek PT3900 Pro Series Tripod

Ah, good old Simpleviewer... it's a neat isn't it? I love their work - their scripts are excellent. Have you seen their postcardviewer?

Just a note though - the "large" photo resizes proportionately to the screen resolution. My screen's 1280x768, and the actual "large" image only covers a 1/3 of the width and a 1/3 of the depth of the screen. Not real big if you're intending your audience to see the finer details of your pics.

Your photos are excellent as always... Big Grin

hi

i use to have simpleviewer but it is sooo slowwwww

Hi Brett,

I think the layout is fine so far, but its hard to tell until it has been fleshed out some more.

I do quite like the simpleviewer interface (and it seems to be fast enough for me), but I'm not sure about those thick white borders you are using. A nice white matte looks great around a print because it sits back and gives space around the image, but a thick white border on a computer screen actually emits distracting light and makes the image inside more difficult to see, especially detail in the shadows. Darker tones are far better for web galleries I believe.
I also agree with ST that the photos could benefit from being a bit bigger, and I found the inconsistency in the size and position of your little copyright message on each image just a bit distracting (but I'm nit-picking).

I am however a little confused about your overall intentions with the website. The subject of this thread is a Photography Business Website, so I'm led to believe the images you show there are for sale. Is this how you intend to work? Selling your photos over the web? Or are these simply examples of your work to help atrract clients to commission you for their own work?

The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if some of the images you currently have there are the type of images other people might want to buy. Please don't take me the wrong way, I'm not making any judgement about them as photographs.
But its a little bit like posting photos of family members - they might be fantastic photos and really meaningful to you and your family, but that doesn't mean the rest of the world will want to buy them. Some of the animal photos are a bit like that - I can't imagine many people would want to buy reptile prints to stick on their wall, no matter how good they might be. I'm simply saying that when deciding which images to include, you should perhaps try to think from the point of view of a potential customer rather than from your own.

Now if you are simply filling this gallery with sample photos while you build it, or are using it to showcase varied examples of your work (that aren't for sale) then I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree... but you didn't mention any of this. It comes back to my original statement that I'm a bit confused about your intentions. Perhaps that's something you could clarify?

What is this website actually for? What kind of business do you hope to hope to do through it?
Sorry if I seem so critical. I'm not trying to discourage you. But if you are seriously trying to start a business, then you need to think long and hard about these things (and many others).

Cheers
Adrian

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:Hi Brett,

I think the layout is fine so far, but its hard to tell until it has been fleshed out some more.

I do quite like the simpleviewer interface (and it seems to be fast enough for me), but I'm not sure about those thick white borders you are using. A nice white matte looks great around a print because it sits back and gives space around the image, but a thick white border on a computer screen actually emits distracting light and makes the image inside more difficult to see, especially detail in the shadows. Darker tones are far better for web galleries I believe.
I also agree with ST that the photos could benefit from being a bit bigger, and I found the inconsistency in the size and position of your little copyright message on each image just a bit distracting (but I'm nit-picking).
Unfortunatly I dont have much control over simpleview, the size of the image and the white border is added by the viewer and well I havent been able to locate how to remove and or change any of these attributes.

Quote:I am however a little confused about your overall intentions with the website. The subject of this thread is a Photography Business Website, so I'm led to believe the images you show there are for sale. Is this how you intend to work? Selling your photos over the web? Or are these simply examples of your work to help atrract clients to commission you for their own work?
I am still working on the website but wanted to get some feedback on the overall layout of the site, the website will be showing some of my works to give potential clients an overview, there will be areas were items are shown that I am selling and also a details of my background and equipment.

Quote:Now if you are simply filling this gallery with sample photos while you build it, or are using it to showcase varied examples of your work (that aren't for sale) then I'm obviously barking up the wrong tree... but you didn't mention any of this. It comes back to my original statement that I'm a bit confused about your intentions. Perhaps that's something you could clarify?
I do plan on selling images, however this is a small portfolio, just to give an indication of my works.

Quote:What is this website actually for? What kind of business do you hope to hope to do through it?
Sorry if I seem so critical. I'm not trying to discourage you. But if you are seriously trying to start a business, then you need to think long and hard about these things (and many others).
Pretty much summed up above, I am a freelance photographer and most photographers out there I see have a website which shows there works and also gives some back ground and in some areas shows what they have for sale.

ok

Borders have been removed from the images .....

Images have been made larger ....also greater spread of images

Hi Kerridwyn,

They do look better without the borders, but like Kombi, I'm a little confused as to the purpose of the site. What kind of work do you intend it to bring you? Are these pictures for sale? While they are nice, competent images I think Kombi's right in saying they're perhaps not the kind of thing that's going to sell easily. If your aim is to attract customers to commission you for work then I doubt having such a predominance of nature images will be very helpful in a business sense as that's a very difficult market to get into and tends to need images that are truly outstanding or very unusual and difficult to obtain. Maybe I've misunderstood your intentions for the site, in which case please ignore my comments, but currently, looking at this as a business site, it doesn't seem to make clear what kind of business you're looking for.

Just a note for info: the images seemed to take rather a long time to load (I'm on a broadband connection and they were taking 20 to 30 seconds each).

--NN

Ok Brett. Here's my take. One of the first things I thought was this was a very nice photo gallery. About the profile page, I found that the font too large and took up too much page space. Also have to scroll side to side a very little bit. Avoid this! Same issue with font size on the equipment page.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Petographer Wrote:Ok Brett. Here's my take. One of the first things I thought was this was a very nice photo gallery. About the profile page, I found that the font too large and took up too much page space. Also have to scroll side to side a very little bit. Avoid this! Same issue with font size on the equipment page.
Can you tell me what Screen resolution you are running, one of the drawbacks of having a 17" widescreen, also let me know if the problems still persist as Ive done some justification and chanfing othe font size

I'm running 1024x768 px on a 17" monitor. The changes you've made look much better.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post