Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First shot from my new 17-40 4 L glass

I was just trying out my new (second-hand) 17-40 on my 5D to check it for shaarpness, contrast and colour and took a picture of this old pallet.

I like the colour and contrast in the shot and am very happy with the lens so far.

[Image: Pallet.jpg]

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

wow, the color is amazing! is that straight from the camera?

Just played with the contrast a little - and some USM. Shot in RAW. Deliberately underexposed.

Thanks Uli.

Canon stuff.

hi chris

it looks a bit soft to me, what shutter speed did u used?

very nice colours

take care

christian

Nice interplay of colors and textures here.

Hi Christian,

Must be the low res web file - original is quite sharp. Shutter speed was 1/100 at 17mm.

Thanks Toad.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Nice test shot! You can see a bit of barrel distortion on the left and right sides.. Big Grin

Thanks ST - this is actually the effect a 17mm lens has on a straight line close-up. You can even see it on the planks in the middle of the frame to some extent. If I had taken the shot looking down on the pallet the top of the straight lines would angle from the outside of the frame into the middle.

One reason why super wide lenses need to be used with caution - especially on people.

Here is a wide-angle shot I took in Cambodia (back when I was pretty new to photography and still shooting film). Infact, the whole Pbase account is my really early work with some digital stuff as well - no weddings back then Smile

http://www.pbase.com/knight_1761/image/4978191

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Thanks ST - this is actually the effect a 17mm lens has on a straight line close-up. You can even see it on the planks in the middle of the frame to some extent. If I had taken the shot looking down on the pallet the top of the straight lines would angle from the outside of the frame into the middle.
Of course ! What am I talking about... it's wide angle! Big Grin

You must be loving the red L... Big Grin

Hi ST - the L stuff is nice. I really like my 24-70 2.8 L. But the best thing is not the sharpness (Sigma, Tokina, Tamron all have some lens offerings that give really sharp results), but the colour and contrast you get out of the L glass.

When I look at the shots from a wedding I can really tell the Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX shots from the 24-70 2.8 L shots - even with thumbnails. The contrast and colour leap out at you straight away.

That is why I was keen to get the 17-40 as well as the fact that the 10-22 EF-S doesn't work on my 5D. Everything worked out really well as I was able to sell the 10-22 and for a good price and pick up the 17-40 second hand for a bit less than the 10-22 sold for - all on the same weekend. God is good Smile

Canon stuff.

Very beautiful result!
I love the colors and texture!!

Congrats on your new lens Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Wonderful! Smile
I think the L lenses look good on 5D Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MrB
Sep 18, 2017, 16:52