Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Avoca, just south of Dublin

This lovely little village was where the TV series 'Ballykissangel' was filmed a few years ago.

[Image: avoca.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I never saw the TV series but the place looks beautiful .... Smile
I love that house with yellow walls... I would spend hours taking pictures of it Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

it looks very picturesque...I can imagine everyone in this town knows everyone elses business!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Beautiful shot Pat, and a lovely little village too.

It appears on my monitor to have a slightly unusual red colour cast. In this particular shot it works well by giving it a bit of an "old postcard" feel to the shot.. but I don't know if this was deliberate or just incidental.

Were you standing out on a point or cliff-top or something while taking that shot? I can imagine it might look interesting from the other end of the village shooting back towards where you were standing when you took it.

I am always slightly puzzled when I look at villages like this. Why do the houses huddle together so tightly when there is so much land around? I guess before cars and telephones were invented it would have been a lot more hassle for people to go down to the shops or keep in touch with friends if you were spread apart, espeically in the kind of winters you guys get in the UK.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

You are right, it does have a reddish tone, entirely accidental, was taken on our trip to Ireland exactly 6 years ago with my old Canon Prima Super 28V, I was standing on the bridge to the village. It seemed to us that houses in most older Irish villages were close together, however not the case in the newer areas.

Cheers,
Pat

I think this photo has a lot of potential - to be more than just a snapshot. The color and content is there - what is missing is the focus on the essential subject. I would figure out what that is (my guess - the orange house) and frame and crop acordingly.

Bright sunlight is also very difficult for photography. It blows the levels and makes everything look flat by removing the shadows and variations in the light that make a photo really powerful.

Do you live close to this villiage so that you can do retakes at different times of day? It is extremely photogenic and I can see some super stuff coming from this location.

Hi Toad
Ireland is a photographers delight, I wish I could take the pic again but we live on the other side of the world :/

Cheers,
Pat

We Europeans like to huddle, Kombi Smile

Nice shot, looks like it was a nice trip! I also see a slight red cast, and on my screen it looks slightly washed out, but I do think my screen is a bit on the bright site (good for it Big Grin )

uli

I like this image. I am assuming it is a scan. There are some corrections you can do. I dropped the reds a little and after playing with levels just sharpened with a high pass sharpening. I'm sure there is a bit more that can be done but it does show a bit of an improvement. Hope you don't mind Pat. Smile

[Image: 43_avoca.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EnglishBob
Jun 11, 2017, 21:56