Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Assignment #35: Colour

In my photography, color and composition are inseparable. I see in color.
- William Albert Allard

If Henri Cartier-Bresson had captured a decisive moment, perhaps a man jumping over a puddle, would the image still have worked if the subject was wearing a plaid jacket and bright green pants?

There's no shortage of derogatory comments about colour photography from veterans of black and white imaging. Colour can be seductive, tempting us to take photos as "eye candy" without regard to composition or light. But, colour adds another compositional element, and can be a challenge in a scene that would otherwise be straightforward. Technically, it also adds many challenges in its authentic reproduction. Rather than being the poor cousin to black and white, colour photography requires a set of skills that black and white doesn't even touch on.

My personal feeling is that neither is superior, and there are enough images in the world that both techniques should be encouraged. But, for this thread, let's make Paul Simon proud and show the photos that would look worse in black and white.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very nice assignment this one Matthew.. Smile

I found this tree near the fence of a house, and the colors of the leaves made me stop the car and take some pictures... it might not be an interesting picture, but to me the colors are great!! Smile

[Image: IMG_7749-01orange.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Here's one that I took because of the colour -- and in retrospect, I wish I had moved the leaf out of the way. (Look for a "simplify the composition" assignment in the near future!)

[Image: monarch.jpg]

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Doesn't have the same impact, does it? Big Grin

[Image: mcdonalds.jpg][Image: mcdonalds2.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Wow, great entries so far!

Irma, wonderful isolation of the subject matter by use of contrasting colours and DOF. The technique is superb.

Matthew, once again, the contract between the dull ground and the vibrant butterfly is great.

Pat, interesting juxtaposition...

Once again, Matthew, what an awesome job in coming up with assignments! I am really encouraged and impressed by the level of enthusiasm and support that everyone has given the assignments. I would like to perhaps suggest a challenge for everyone to take these assignments one step further - in addition to submissions (which are greatly appreciated) - I think we could also discuss the topic or subject matter at hand. Is this one of your favourite themes/topics/techniques? How have you used it in the past, and how do you use it in your craft? What are your challenges when it comes to the topic?

This week's one is particularly fascinating because colour is such a key part or photography - we basically see the world in shapes and colours. Whenever I have a browse through flickr I find it interesting that almost all of the "popular" photos have very vibrant and distinct colours - almost over processed or fake even? Is that the key then to good photography? Overzealous post processing? Or am I overgeneralising?

Pat Wrote:Doesn't have the same impact, does it? Big Grin
Not at that time...No. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Pat, I think your color picture looks great... I think it is not a picture to have in BW...

ST... I like a lot the idea about discussing the assignment topic along with showing some pictures...

Paul Cezanne

When browsing thumbnail galleries such as flickr I find I my eyes are more often drawn to the black and white or sepia images with high contrast. Maybe thats just my preference. Having said that I agree that alot of shots are much better in full colour. I can't remember seeing a black and white fireworks shot that I liked!

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Found this by chance tonight;

how-to-use-colour-effectively

It has some nice examples.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Here are some very colorful condos in Capitola, California.
[Image: 69_Capitola%20Color2.jpg]

Without color? ....

[Image: Capitola%20BW.jpg]

Here's one from last weekend. It has a couple of different colour aspects to it:

[Image: 22211-jacket.jpg]

For one thing, the colour of this jacket is part of its identity. It is a buckskin jacket made by Mary Commanda for Pierre Trudeau, who would wear it while canoeing -- and occasionally to the House of Commons. As such, a black and white photograph would be counter to the intentions of both the creator and its wearer. The other use of colour is to separate the yellow of the jacket from the purples and blues of the background nature scenes. While I tried to create a B&W conversion (ironically, for the sake of this assignment) it didn't hold the same impact. The reflection of the display case in the glass also became much more prominent.

Here's mine, shot in a hurry just for the assignment as my previous ideas were much worse.
Drop of water on a CD.

[Image: kak.color.jpg]

Here's another

[Image: poserose.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

I found yesterday this picture I like a lot. My first idea two years ago was to make it BW. I liked then. Now, I played with LR and colors and I like it even better... Smile

[Image: P1000884-Edit.jpg]

Here is the BW version. It was taken with my panasonic.

Paul Cezanne

Some really nice shots. But Irma your apple is sooooo much better in color!! I love it!

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

That's a fantastic shot in colour. I prefer the focus and composition of this version, too. Excellent photo.

Thanks Paul, Matt... Smile

I worked the colors in this picture with Lightroom. I am so happy the way you can work colors with this program.. Smile

Paul Cezanne

The apple is stunning - love it Irma.

Canon stuff.

Spinning things/mobiles, hanging from a stall.
[Image: IMG_5893.jpg]

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

There are lots of great assignments and challenges in this part of the forum, so I'm reviving another old assignment here.

Stained Glass

One of the windows in St Peter's Church, St Albans, Hertfordshire, taken in February 2015:

[ Pentax K-5 IIs; ISO 320; 35mm prime lens; Av Mode; f/5.6; 1/40s; software editor - PaintShop Pro X6 ]

Let's have lots more contributions - any subject, as long as it's better for being in colour rather than mono. Critiques and comments are always welcome.

Cheers.
Philip

I find that I am suffering withdrawal symptoms. The weather leaves a lot to be desired and my annual hibernation is getting to be tedious. Came across this Assignment and found it to be rather interesting.
So here is a splash of colour to brighten the day. It is just a shot of a Ginger Jar illuminated by two desk lamps.
DMC-FZ200, 1/10 @ f/2.8 ISO 200 17.8mm ( 107mm equivalent ).

[attachment=6791]
Regards to All,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

That is far larger than I expected. Here it is again. Should be smaller.

[attachment=6792]

Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post