Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Worst Photo - I need help

Well I bet this would be the worst photo posted on this forum. Went to Christ Church Cathedral to try out my 17-40 - as you can see I badly need some tutoring. What I cant understand is that my Canon Pro1 took a nearly perfect shot of this interior some months ago. :(

[Image: worstphoto.jpg]

I confess to not using a tripod

Exif info:
TV (Shutter Speed): 0.08 sec
AV: f4.0
Metering: Evaluative
Exposure Compensation: 0
ISO Speed: 100
Focal Length: 17.00
Image Quality: Raw
Flash Off
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: One shot AF

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

So sorry Pat... the thing here is that your shutter speed was tooo long... even if you have IS (image stabilizer) in your lens...

In this case just work with the ISO put it to 400 and see if your shutter speed is faster let's say l/50sec and then your picture won't be blurred...

If you have the picture you took with your other camera check the settings that camera worked with... and see the difference...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hey Pat... must be the Holy Spirit descending from above! Big Grin

I wonder what the EXIF data is like from the Pro1? The lighting might be subtly different...

I had a similar experience - when I moved from my Fuji S5000 to the Nikon D50, I found that the S5000's ISO200 was not the same as the D50's ISO200. Where I could previously get away with hand holding with my S5000 and getting acceptable shots, no longer with the D50...

Pat, your Pro1 was probably set to auto-iso, and chose to use a higher rating.
On this one the shutter speed was nearly 1/10th of a second which is too slow for
anyone to handhold even with some form of image stabilisation.
A tripod, or even firmly bracing the camera against a pew would have made a big difference because anything slower than 1/30 handheld is in the danger zone.

Still, the way the light through the windows streaked is pretty and interesting.
Maybe some artistic filters in photoshop (or whatever you use) would emphasize this and mask the out of focus nature.

When given lemons, make lemonade.
Stir it up.
Go wild.

Irma, I set my camera to ISO 400 and the shutter speed is now 1/125. I guess this is all to do with the lighting in the church. Will go back next week and try again. Thanks Keith & Julian, I have a lot to learn with this SLR :|

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Remember Pat to check your histogram always try to get a nice curve without anything blown out... and if you have the chance to take many pictures, go manual...

It would be a good practice to take some pictures at home... pictures of a room with a window... change your settings.... ISO, shutter speed, aperture... when you see your pictures in your raw converter you will see the result of your settings and you will learn how all this works...

Try to find out if your shooting technique is correct... make your self sturdy as a rock, no breathe, no wink.. and just move your finger to shoot... at the beginning is a bit difficult with the time it comes natural...

Wish you the best in your next try.. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Pat Wrote:I confess to not using a tripod
Will anyone be offended if you use a tripod? It will make a big difference.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

One of my Camera Club buddies put it (Using a Tripod) into perspective the other day.

He often visits Churches, Public Buildings, Universitys, Castles etc and if he walks in carrying a tripod he is nearly always approached by a patron uttering the line "No Professional Photographers!"

Nikon F55, Pentax K100D, Panasonic Lumix FZ20, Olympus OM1.
Darkroom Dweller.

How about a Monopod? they dont take up any room and you can slow your shutter speed down too ? And they are light !! Just a thought .

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Aug 19, 2017, 03:37
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 11, 2017, 08:11