Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Printing" 3D Wood Carvings

Saw this very groovy (ha ha, pun intended Big Grin) "Computer-Controlled Compact Woodworking Machine" via BoingBoing. It's a off the shelf piece of equipment that can carve 3D designs out of wood, plastics and other materials -- and the cool thing about it is that it can even make 3D carvings based on photos!

Link

At $1800, the price is pretty steep, but it sounds way cool indeed. Perhaps in the not too distant future, we can walk into our photo stores and order 3D carvings alongside our normal photo prints...

Do read the user reviews too - this one is pretty interesting:

Quote:"In the short time I have owned this machine I am very happy with it. Designing elaborate carvings from the templates is very easy. I like the way software will carve from imported jpg files where the depth of relief at any point is determined by the image density. This makes it possible to design carvings freehand in Photoshop with the airbrush tool. The machine is tremendous fun and performs just as advertised. I didn't fill out a ratings for durability and reliability only because i just got it."

Shuttertalk with the new avatar!
That's a cool device :O Imagine being able to print 3d items Tongue you could carve out shapes and stuff... so cool.

When I was in Malaysia a few years ago there was a small stall in the shopping centre which printed onto wood - somehow burning it in, this one is cooler :O hrhr

Hey cool, more 3D printers and printing services! These ones print using a variety of materials and sizes...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/05/busine...tUe2RFxZNA

Quote:Great Eastern Technology (www.get.com), for instance, will make small multicolored copies from a starch-based powder for about $70 using a printer from the Z Corporation. Larger objects that could fill up the printing bed, which measures 10 inches by 10 inches by 8 inches, might cost about $700. Minico Industries (www.minicoindustries.com) uses printers from a company called Dimension that use a different process to build things out of pure monochrome ABS plastic. It charges about $50 a cubic inch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Robert
Oct 8, 2014, 13:06