Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Printable Lens Hoods

Now this is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while - lens hood designs you can print out and use on your lenses! You just download the free PDF designs, print it out and away you go! They've got designs for a huge list of lenses and manufacturers, and I suppose if you print it on some nice black heavy duty card, it might actually look pro-ish... enjoy! Big Grin

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/

Quote:* Ultra compact - can be carried unfolded.
* No waiting to order one - simply download, print, cut-out and attach.
* Redundancy - don't worry if you lose one; just print another!
* 100% recyclable.
* Can be modified to cater for different digital SLR sensor crop factors.
* Available in both 'rounded' and 'petal' versions.
[via photub]

Sounds like fun.
I imagine you can print on normal paper and use that as a template for cutting heavier stock with a hobby (ExActo) knife.

Did you forget the link?

KeithAlanK Wrote:Sounds like fun.
I imagine you can print on normal paper and use that as a template for cutting heavier stock with a hobby (ExActo) knife.

Did you forget the link?
Haha, oops, link is fixed.

Good idea regarding the knife trick...

Maybe someone can help me out?

The site above only lists SLR lenses, and only by their name/focal length.
Does anyone know which of the lens hoods listed would fit my Sony F717?
It has 58mm filter threads if that helps.
(Matthew? Compare your F828 with your Olympus lenses? I want petals!)

That is brilliant for tightwads like me.
In the artist and craft shops you can now purchase A4 sheets of material.
It looks like rubber or sponge type rubber but is very firm and about 1.5 - 2.0 mm thick.
Various colours, black or very dark grey among them. I reckon that would be ideal for a lens hood and being slightly elastic would stay in place better, without recourse to sellotape. And possibly do away with the tabs.
I will try it when the shops open tomorrow and report back.
Ha! I could even start a business. :o:o:oBig Grin
I downloaded one for the nifty 50 and it fits like a glove.
May I put the Link on to another photographic board I use? Please, please, pretty please. Big Grin
You can buy sheets of white carbon? paper, and trace through that onto dark card or whatever. It is like crayon when transferred and needs a fine point for copying. Dressmaking shops would have that.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Wow NT, that sounds awesome - would you mind taking pics of that sponge type rubber thing? I'd love to see how the finished product looks like.

Feel free to share the link - it's not mine.. Big Grin

KeithAlanK Wrote:(Matthew? Compare your F828 with your Olympus lenses? I want petals!)
Try this one out: http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Olympus....5-5.6.php

The f717's minimum focal length equivalent is 38mm? The above link is for a lens with a 58mm thread and a minimum 28mm focal length, so it won't give as good coverage as it could. Another one to try is this one:

http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Olympus....5-4.5.php

It's for a lens with an 80mm-e minimum focal length, but I expect that you'll figure out how to do a hybrid that won't vignette. There's also the option of using a hood that's specific to the focal length range that you're using, but that gets very complicated.

Other cameras may give better results -- I would think that anything with a similar focal length to the F717 and a 58mm thread could be made to fit.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

LOL so much for using lens hood to protect the lens. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:LOL so much for using lens hood to protect the lens. Big Grin

/Paul L.
I see your point, but the lens hood that came with my Tamron is hard plastic and if the lens hood got a knock the vibrations would transmit to the lens. Manufacturers would say they are not for protection anyway...:/ but for keeping stray rays of light out.
If you drop a camera with or without a lens hood on, well you deserve what you get.
Not being rude, just practical.Smile

A soft rubber would give more protection and antivibration etc, IMHO.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Thanks, Matthew.
I'll be able to get them printed tomorrow, but the main thing is the part that wraps around the lens, so I can modify the rest as needed.
I appreciate the help.

NT73 Wrote:
Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:LOL so much for using lens hood to protect the lens. Big Grin

/Paul L.
I see your point, but the lens hood that came with my Tamron is hard plastic and if the lens hood got a knock the vibrations would transmit to the lens. Manufacturers would say they are not for protection anyway...:/ but for keeping stray rays of light out.
If you drop a camera with or without a lens hood on, well you deserve what you get.
Not being rude, just practical.Smile

A soft rubber would give more protection and antivibration etc, IMHO.
No not really, a rubber lenshood would not protect it much, since it will give in if you bump or drop it. Vibration is not the problem. bending or cracking the front barrel/element is often one of the main damage when you drop a lens.

Surely its designed to keep light hitting the front element of the lens @ wrong angle, and thus creating flare.

But rubber made lenshoods seems far more practical then paper ones. Smile

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

but for keeping stray rays of light out
Surely its designed to keep light hitting the front element of the lens @ wrong angle, and thus creating flare.

Thats what he sediment not what the element Big Grin

Your verbosity is better than mine.Smile

Lumix LX5.

Steps..
#1 Find Camera brand
#2 Find lens (popular lenses 18-55 kit lens) thought I'd do one for that first
#3 download pattern
#4 print two copies.
#5 Cut one out and check to see if it fits. (Tamron one was too large, but that may have been my printer settings)
#6 Place pattern over rubber sheet and grip firmly.
#7 Cut one side (petal side)
#8 Cut other side.
#9 Line up and glue tabs. (About 2mm tighter than marks, to allow for stretch.)
Finished...

18-55 with tabs cut to 4mm firs over body and allows lens to rotate for focusing.

Nifty 50 will need to be a round hood rather than petals as everything that the hood can be fastened to, moves.

Go to next post for pics.

Lumix LX5.

Not sure if it is big enough but here goes.

Foam (www.craft-planet.com) ........Foam rolled and held by tape....Rough cut.
Cut Tabs nearly off......Glued ....Finished....
[Image: 4bxxxe1.jpg]

[Image: hood.jpg]

About 1 hour total time. Most of it trying to find glue scissors etc.Big Grin
Foam £0.49 for A4 sheet

Lumix LX5.

Cool! Thanks for sharing the pics - the petal shaped hood looks great!

Question - what's the best way of affixing it to the lens?

It may vary depending on the lens. That one is just pushed on up to the silver ring.
So it allows the focussing ring to move .
Put one edge of hood on to body and ease rest of it over on the other side. It is a firm fit. But I made it a little bit smaller in diameter.
If you leave the tabs on you could fit an elastic band round.

The outer lens goes into the rubber focussing ring a tiny bit so I dont think it will go on to the outer lens bit. Thereby stopping manual focussing. But it is better than nothing. Maybe Big Grin

Lumix LX5.

Well - I can comment on this as I recently had a nasty accident with my gear at a wedding.

Managed to knock the 5D with 24-70 2.8 L and 580EX flash off a limestone wall for a metre+ fall onto concrete Sad

That is about $8000 AU worth of gear. The terrible thing was that I didn't even know I had done it until I heard the sound of my gear hitting the concrete behind me.

The hard plastic Canon lens hood definitely saved the lens, 5D has a little scuff (not as bad as when I took a fall on a glacier with it) and the 580EX snapped at the bottom. Fortunately this is a sacraficial part designed by Canon for events just like this - cost me $45 to get the part.

So - total cost for repair of possible $8000 accident - $45 plus delivery fee for overnight freight of $10 = $55 AU. Thanks Canon for great design. Thank you God for my little miracle.

The moral of the story - be more careful Chris... and spend the extra for the original plastic lens hood.

Despite how all this sounds I do take good care of my gear - but accidents do happen.

Canon stuff.

It was never suggested that a paper lens hood will protect the lens, but for maybe someone who only has a camera and a couple of lenses it is a cheap option. Option being the operative word.
My camera usually never leaves my neck, even on the tripod, the strap is around my neck. And there is always the Insurance policy for accidents.
Hey! I agree with you as well. Smile

Lumix LX5.

Hey NT73:

Great photos of the construction.

I find this idea kind of intriguing because I hate to carry around lens hoods. They are bulky and always in the way when not in use. I like the idea of not having to carry multiple large hoods around but still having a suitable alternative with me if I need one. I realize that these will not *protect* lenses - but I usually only use hoods for sun flare anyway.

However, if the things glue together, I don't see the advantage - the foam hoods will be just as bulky. So here's my question: Any chance that one of these could be fitted with snaps or some other fastener that would allow it to be carried totally flat and *snap* together for usage?

Toad Wrote:Hey NT73:

Great photos of the construction.

I find this ...>read <...question: Any chance that one of these could be fitted with snaps or some other fastener that would allow it to be carried totally flat and *snap* together for usage?
Ah I see what you mean now and yes it could be fitted with snaps/press studs but why? It is flexible and will fold in half, and regain shape when pushed on to the lens. Mine is a bit messy looking at the joint but it is glued using evostik. It weighs virtually nil and it will also fit over the lens back to front (petals nearest camera)
Mine was made a little bit tight so it is and interference fit (It would knock off with a tap on the side) but I think the wind would not remove it. You could stick it in your pocket or slide it on your wrist maybe. I have now made 3 hoods from one A4 sheet.
And my joints are getting neater.Wink
Another idea... A small velcro piece, glued to outside of hood and another to your sleeve or trouser leg..whatever.

Lumix LX5.

OK - I didn't think about these pressing flat - thanks for the reply.

Good point regarding the protection factor, Chris...

I suppose these lens hoods are great for those cheap / kit / 2nd hand / older lenses where the lens hood will probably cost more than the lens itself! Big Grin

For the pro type lenses - if you can drop a couple of grand on a lens, but not spend a little more on a hood... then hm... Big Grin

Canon L glass always comes with a hood included - but I think you can still buy a $500 non L lens and invest in the lens hood. But for those older lenses that you pick up second hand I can see the point.

Canon stuff.

Well, I have lens hoods for all my lenses already, but it would be nice to have something that didn't take so much room in the bag...

A round one for the 18-55 kit lens pushed on to the focussing ring.
Instead of cutting tabs, just shorten them to 12mm and cut a semicircle.
This one I attempted a butt joint to make it look neater.
[Image: hood%20butt%20joint.jpg]
Pushed on the lens.
[Image: hood%20on%20lens.jpg]
Stored upside down.
[Image: hood%20stored.jpg]

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55