Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Do you think 4 memory cards is too many?

I bought additional memory cards today for our Europe trip - and I now have 3 x 2GB and 1 x 1GB SD cards, which can be used by both my Nikon D50 and my wife's IXUS 55. I also have a portable storage device.

At first I thought 3 cards would be sufficient - the rationale was that if a card filled up, I could use the spare while I downloaded it to the storage device. Then I thought - what if we both fill our cards at the same time? So on the spur of the moment I bought another card, hence 4 cards. Big Grin Smile :| :/

You can never have too many cards, right?

I think I think too much... Big Grin

I have 7... and until recently that number was 10!

Admittedly I have 2 256mb cards, 2 512mb, 2 1gb and a 4gb. So total storage is only 7.5 gb.

Depends. If I download too much to my PC it slo-o-o-o-o-o-ws down.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I have also 4: 3, 2gb and 1, 256mb... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I've recently retired my two oldest cards, both Lexar 12x 512MB, after one of them failed. I replaced them with two Kingston 2GB cards for $34 each. I no longer worry about buying memory.

I have 3x 2GB, 2x 1GB, and 2x 512MB compact flash cards still in service. The bigger cards are the ones that I use when shooting, the smaller ones are to make sure that I never leave a camera without a card in it. There's also a 256MB Memory Stick in my retired-but-still-charged-and-ready Sony F828, and a 1GB xD card in my new Oly P&S.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Which Olympus did you get Matthew? We just bought my wife an Olympus Stylus 760.

By the way, while browsing ebay I came across these mini USB card reader/cases which allowed you put your SD cards into and turn it into a USB thumb drive... pretty cool! Big Grin

[Image: P9886A.jpg]

If you have some old cards which you're not using then maybe this might be a good use...

I want to try one of those card/usb converters.

My method has been to buy a new card with Christmas gift card money.
I used to get by with a pair of 64mb and a 32.
Adding a 128mb was liberating.
The newest 512mb has been like a dream.

Interestingly, I paid about the same for each of them.

If this seems like a small amount of memory, keep in mind that I use a 5mp camera (max file size is around 2.5mb) and always transfer my images to the computer as soon as I get home.
I might start running low on space on a 3-daytrip, but I shoot rather selectively when on vacation.

I use my oldest cards for taking files to be printed.

The main thing about multiple cards is to have a quality case for carrying and protecting them.
Mine is aluminum with a rubber interior.

5 x 2GB
1 x 1GB
1 x 8GB
2 x 256MB

ST - You do think too much Wink

Canon stuff.

EnglishBob Wrote:Which Olympus did you get Matthew? We just bought my wife an Olympus Stylus 760.
I like the whole stylus line, and the weatherproofing is a great feature. I took that even further and bought the Stylus 770SW, which is the one that's waterproof (to 10 meters immersion) and toughened against impact and crushing.

KeithAlanK Wrote:Interestingly, I paid about the same for each of them.
That's actually how I wound up with a range of sizes -- I've never increased how much I pay. I actually decreased it with my most recent CF cards, since I didn't want the 4GB cards. Peter Krough, in The DAM Book, advises never to buy more memory (he's speaking of HDD space) than you'll actually need in the next six months. It will be cheaper for me to buy a smaller card now and a bigger one later, although with prices already so low, it's hard to imagine.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I paid less than 1 third of the price of my 32mb card when i bought the 4GB recently!

32mb in 1998 £120 (roughly $180) Bought in the UK
4GB in 2007 $64 (Roughly £42) Bought in the US.

Dragging up an old topic, but I recently went on a weeks vacation with my new camera and two 2G SD cards, and shooting high quality JPEGs barely filled one card. However, shooting RAW, I would probably want a total of 8G (2G X 4...still can't afford the 4G cards!) for any extended stay. Took my laptop along as a download backup, but it wasn't needed. (Still have a hard time getting used to the idea of Gigs stored in what amounts to a postage stamp!Smile Prices are in freefall, also, so getting what you want isn't such an issue any longer. Planning for vacation, I decided to stick to JPEG, but now wouldn't be concerned taking just RAW files.

I arrived home last night, and haven't had a chance to go through everything yet, but I'm estimating that I shot about thirty gigs of photos in the three weeks that I was traveling.

I had one of my three new 4GB cards fail. My portable hard drive wasn't able to read all of the files on it, so I needed to take it out of service until I could get it to a computer with a card reader, which didn't happen during the trip. Fortunately I had enough memory that it was never really an issue (10 CF cards for 20+GB) but if I'd been traveling with only three or four, it could have been a serious problem.

I always kept two copies of each photo, one on the portable HDD (a Hyperdrive Space 40GB) and another either the original CF card or a DVD. The cards and DVDs traveled in my luggage, while the more fragile HDD came with me in my carry-on baggage. I wanted to make sure that I couldn't lose everything.

At this point, the cost of buying Compact Flash cards, using them once, and then throwing them out is more economical than shooting film and never getting it developed.

I started on our China travels with
1x2G
1x4G
and thought it was plenty, taking DVDs along to be burnt on the way. Now it turns out I had to buy another 2G sort of in an emergency as we couldn't find a place to burn a DVD!! I don't envision you will have difficulties of that kind in Europe, as in any internet cafe you SHOULD be able to burn a DVD, but seeing what I've seen now, I would rather be on the safe side. they are getting so cheap too!!!

Uli

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dave1712
Apr 28, 2016, 12:05