Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sort of a guide thing...

...for those who might find this useful; I've done this as a "pic to submit" but also with Irma and Drake in mind(or anyone else who finds the workflow useful):
Firstly, the subject(oft shot by Zig, as I'm sure you'll remember): tricky lighting: late afternoon, semi- "contrejour", with light just off camera left and forward. My usual landscape combo: vertical format, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro; here at its sharpest, f5.6.

[Image: scpyTreeBacklit-Bweb.jpg]

1. Shot in raw at ISO 100 with tripod, focus on tree. I chose f5.6 as it's the sharpest for me; subject is far enough away as to give enough detail given the depth of field.
2. Composition: a compromise really; I sacrificed any idea of "rule of thirds" so that I could get the tree against the opening in the hedgerow and not lost in a background of possibly similar tones. I also liked the strong lead-lines of the hedging on the right; I chose the Tamron over the 50mm to use the telephoto's "stacking effect" on the distance. Though I knew the lighting would be tricky without a neutral grad to hold back the exposure in the background, I was betting that the digital sensor would retain enough highlight detail for me to work with later. I also was counting on there being "halation": the almost diffusing effect of a strong light source behind the subject: in other words, I didn't mind any softening of background....it would contrast pleasingly with the hard lines of the tree.
3. Metering: I didn't want to effectively underexpose, so I metered off the well-lit grass. I knew this would give around 18% reflectivity(ie; just the right "grey" in equivalent terms); I set this exposure manually then recomposed.
4. Processing:
In the Canon conversion software I decided on mono but with mid-low contrast( I can always add later; detail was what I wanted to capture); I also chose a "green filter": this would lighten the grass, as I wanted the final grass tone in mono to be around the same as the background: this would help the tree to stand out and there to be some continuity between the fore- and background.
Thus I had a rather pale("thin") 16-bit RGB tiff...again, I chose these so as to hold onto as much information as possible throughout the processing stage. I could also, if I wished, make "colour" and channel adjustments.
After a bit of cropping to tighten up on the base of the tree, I then set about equalising the tones of the background and foreground: so that if I made any contrast adjustments, these would be more uniform.
Thus, I dodged some highlights underneath the horizon so that the tones were similar to the foreground grass.
I followed this with burning shadow detail on the horizon and distant trees.
Now, as there was far too great a stop-difference to record much in the way of sky texture, I duplicated the pic as a layer.
On the layer, I used the grad tool(making sure the black and white fore and background were the right way round!) to pull a grey grad down from the very top to just below the horizon. A little more dodging and burning below the horizon on the original layer, then I flattened the image.
By the way, my dodge/burn tools were very large and soft, around 1400 pixels; I used percentages of between 3 and 6% so as to retain control of the rate.
I increased contrast a little(the autocontrast would have been too fierce) so as to separate out the background tones a bit, then dodged and burned a little more, so that the distant trees became clearer. I reduced the size of the burning tool to equalise the tones of the midground trees, smart-sharpened a tad, by 0.1 pixel. I then tried Autocontrast; happily it decided to be useful, so i stuck with it.
I converted to greyscale, then resized, then smart-sharpened a bit at a time(I find this retains more detail), then saved as an 8bit jpeg.
Overall, I'm quite pleased with this: OK, some of the tree highlights are overexposed...but I found enough saving grace in everything else to live with this. I found that by evening up the tones, the actual shapes and forms were allowed to become more important; also it has allowed (I think) a pleasing contrast to emerge between the sharp, contrasty lines of the tree and the soft textures of the distance.
Though I was forced to have the tree central in the horizontal plane, I'm reminded that rules don't have to be in tablets of stone: there's a pleasing "trio" of areas and enough leading lines to draw the eye in. I pretty much always use vertical format for landscapes, as I find there is room for the eye to roam and travel along the natural lines, wander around the horizon and back again.
I hope you find this breakdown useful.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

shaun, this is a wonderful shot, and thanks for providing excellent work procedure details.

since you are so meticulus about it, I hope you will allow my two small points of critique, concerned with the composition. I would have probably cropped this picture into something closer to 8x12, leaving a little bit of grass at the bottom so that the shadow of the tree does not piont exactly into the bottom right corner of the picture but rather pierce the right edge away from the bottom edge. On the right hand side I would have cropped so much to get rid of the rugged edges of the lake in the background and rather let the even surface of it disappear off the edge, and at the same time hide the very dark shadow and stem of the front row hedge on the right, which is in my eye too strong a counterpart to the more subtle-shaded tree.
this way you would also move the tree slightly out of the (vertical) center of the picture, personally I would like that.
Sorry I am not on my computer to crop myself, I am just holding sheets of paper in front of the screen...

Hope you don't mind, it's definitely a fantastic shot I would not have been able to produce!

uli

Thanks soooo much for the breakdown , you have a great way to explain things so even a rookie such as me can understand . There is so much that i like about the bw shots that you have posted , you have inspired me . Thank you Zig .

..... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Beautiful Zig.
There are so many thing to admire in this picture, so many details. I love it!!

I like a lot to see the tree separated so beautifully, as if I could touch it. The detail in the far background is lovely. You are right about your composition. There are a lot of lines that guide your eye all over the frame.

Lots of things to learn with your explanation. Taking the picture and metering the light. I have to play with this a lot more. And your work with the image. Interesting the way you work with your picture. I definetly have to try. I am already thinking where to go and take my BW picture today... Smile

Thanks so much for sharing your experience to take this wonderful pictures. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Ta chaps and chapesses.
wulinka: excellent points; yes, you're right, I've just tried a recrop and it works very well..and I do get the "thirds" back as you say. It's a tad too "long" when I do this,as I don't have enough bottom to play with(oo-er missis) to even things out. Yes, that wiggly thing on the right is a bit distracting I suppose: though actually the "lake edge" is in fact a hedgerow Big Grin ...hey, my Tamron's not as sharp as I thought! I confess, I don't think all the processing through beforehand and am only as analytical as I appear in retrospect, as it were. Thanks, great feedback.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Sep 3, 2011, 20:42
Last Post by Zig
Jun 15, 2006, 04:32