Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How do I go about having a photograph printed?

I like this pic, others may have other ideas - C & C welcome. Smile

I would like to know how to go about having a photograph professionally printed, from taking it in the camera and giving it to the printer. Anyone ? :/

[Image: AvenueTrees.jpg]

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Pat Wrote:I like this pic, others may have other ideas - C & C welcome. Smile

I would like to know how to go about having a photograph professionally printed, from taking it in the camera and giving it to the printer. Anyone ? :/
First of all - it's very important to be using a calibrated monitor so that you can be more sure of getting prints that match what you see on your screen. I use Spyder 2 for calibrating my screen and the prints I get back match the colurs that I see on the files when I send them away for printing. For the benefit of any UK users - I use Photobox.co.uk for my prints.

You'll need to save and send the image as sRGB because that's what almost all print houses use for their calibrating their machines.

Next - decide what size of print you require (7 x 5, 6 x4, 10x 8 or whatever) then use the cropping tool in Photoshop to crop the image to the right size for the print. Ideally the image should be saved at a minimum of 300ppi for a good quality print. So the saved file will inevitably be quite large - approx around 1-2Mb for a decent print saved at 300ppi

I'm attaching a screenshot of one of my own 10x8 images which shows the Photoshop setting I've used for the crop tool. See the windows along the top and you'll note it was cropped at 10x8 and 300ppi. There's also a dropdown menu beneath the crop icon (top left) and that's the menu for choosing your print size crop)

Hope that all makes sense. Just be sure to use a calibrated screen otherwise the print colours may not come back as you intended.

Polly

[Image: 4prints.jpg]

Many thanks Polly - I have printed this info out and am about to download Spyder Smile

Cheers,
Pat

Pat Wrote:Many thanks Polly - I have printed this info out and am about to download Spyder Smile
Pat - the Spyder system I use isn't downloadable software. It's a gizmo that is attached, by suction. to my CRT screen, or rests flat against my laptop screen. the software that comes with it then calibrates the screens by measuring a series of coloured squares.

http://tinyurl.com/ytzum2 Here's a link to their website and you shoud be able to buy it from any good online camera/photography source. There are other systems, such as "Huey" but I've never tried anything else so I can't really comment on them.

Spyder2 that I use has come down in price since I bought mine so it probably won't be too expensive.

I dunno anything about the online print services in Oz but maybe Julian, Jamie or Christian could help with that one. There may also be comparative reviews in Aussie photography magazines?

The service I use has all sorts of advice on their website, so the chances are there'll be an Aussie web service with similar help and advice about resolution, file sizes etc. The one use is at http://www.photobox.co.uk/ if you'd like to see the sort of advice and service they offer.

Polly

Hi Polly - checked out Spyder 2, found out about the device, saw the price - and fainted Smile I'm going to have to look for something a little less expensive. Saw top quality prints from a Newcastle printer when doing my photography course so might be sensible to have a chat to them. Appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Cheers,
Pat

Pat - I was in a similar position recently. I have only very basic callibration (pretty much default settings) with my monitor but arranged a large test print (16 x 24inches) to test clarity and colour. I was very happy that the colours appear to match my screen and I was surprised that I could print a 2mb picture this big and see no pixelation or loss or quality.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

The Pantone Huey II is a very affordable alternative for monitor calibration.

I have just gone through the process of having a professional quality 40 inch x 40 inch print done in London on top grade archival paper and mounted for exhibition. This was all completely new to me. I was recommended a professional printer in the artistic Shoreditch area of London who have the website www.theprintspace.co.uk. The well-laid out information (and short tutorial videos) on all aspects of the process was really helpful to me and I would recommend taking a look.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post